The Student Room Group

Does LSE / Oxbridge consider AS levels?

I am taking 3 A Levels and I would like to take an AS level (history) as another facilitating subject to increase the chances of getting accepted. Is it worth it though? I am studying business, geography and fine art.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Facilitating subjects - the terminology is no longer used by its initial proponents, the Russell Group - were really just a list of subjects that may appear as required depending on your choice of course. They're not subjects that universities look at and go "phwoooaaar, look at that, this person's doing history"

So no it won't increase your chances, unless they've explicitly said that they prefer applicants to have history or that applicants offering history have a higher chance of getting an offer. What course is this for anyway?
(edited 3 years ago)
Sinnoh’s absolutely right - tbh, you’d be better off spending the time you’d need to focus on extra AS levels on revising for the 3 A levels you’re already doing, studying and practising for additional tests that Oxbridge may require and taking part in super curricular activities to develop your interest in the subject (which you could then also use in your personal statement).
I only recommend 4 A levels or an AS if you are genuinely interested in it. It's not worth it for the reasons BlueEyedGirl talks about. Sinnoh is right, especially after the A level reform. Many unis dont care for a level combinations anymore unless they are required. The only college at Cambridge that wants facilitating subjects is Trinity but you can still apply as long as you have 2 facilitating subjects; it's the same with LSE with their preferred subjects. You wont increase your chances of getting accepted with one AS unless it's recommend at Cambridge but wont do much if you arent doing well in it or in your other 3 A levels, if it was the case
Taking extra AS or A-levels won't gain you bonus "points" in admissions for any course, so there is little reason to do so unless a) it's required for the course you want to study (in which case it will probably be required to A-level) or b) you want to for personal interest (although that always raises the question of, why not just do reading in your spare time and/or as an extracurricular pursuit, rather than requiring a qualification).
Reply 5
Original post by Sinnoh
Facilitating subjects - the terminology is no longer used by its initial proponents, the Russell Group - were really just a list of subjects that may appear as required depending on your choice of course. They're not subjects that universities look at and go "phwoooaaar, look at that, this person's doing history"

So no it won't increase your chances, unless they've explicitly said that they prefer applicants to have history or that applicants offering history have a higher chance of getting an offer. What course is this for anyway?

I need another facilitating subject / 'preferred' as LSE says that I need at least two (not entirely sure about Oxbridge). I want to study geography and I study geography, business studies and fine art (business and fine art being in the 'non-preferred' list). It's very competitive and there will be other students that have taken more social science subjects such as psychology, that's why I'm considering taking something else. However, I also have external Mandarin exams (HSK) so that means I would have a lot of subjects to practice and study.
Reply 6
Original post by PetitePanda
I only recommend 4 A levels or an AS if you are genuinely interested in it. It's not worth it for the reasons BlueEyedGirl talks about. Sinnoh is right, especially after the A level reform. Many unis dont care for a level combinations anymore unless they are required. The only college at Cambridge that wants facilitating subjects is Trinity but you can still apply as long as you have 2 facilitating subjects; it's the same with LSE with their preferred subjects. You wont increase your chances of getting accepted with one AS unless it's recommend at Cambridge but wont do much if you arent doing well in it or in your other 3 A levels, if it was the case

To be honest, I regret taking business studies and would rather take history but it's probably too late to drop business. I have really good grades in business (and my other subjects) but it's just non preferred for LSE especially. Overall I have only one facilitating subject so my chances of getting accepted are probably slim. I do love geography it's just the fact that competition is really high.
Original post by m.s0
To be honest, I regret taking business studies and would rather take history but it's probably too late to drop business. I have really good grades in business (and my other subjects) but it's just non preferred for LSE especially. Overall I have only one facilitating subject so my chances of getting accepted are probably slim. I do love geography it's just the fact that competition is really high.

What are your subjects?
Reply 8
Original post by PetitePanda
What are your subjects?

business studies, fine art & geography - I'm planning to take BA geography at uni.
Original post by m.s0
business studies, fine art & geography - I'm planning to take BA geography at uni.

Unfortunately LSE expect candidates to have 2 preferred subjects so it will be really competitive applications so applying to LSE is risky. However, there are other unis you could apply for and you have 5 choices to choose from as well

Quick Reply

Latest