gcseyr11
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Ive already chosen to do maths and drama. I want to do 4 levels but I'm not sure weather to do economics, criminology or politics. What would you recommend and if you have taken them how where your experience with the subject. Also I'm not sure what I want to do in the future but maybe something to do with maths, acting or law.
ayumie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If you like Maths for a degree, you could even consider Further Maths, it makes you very favourable for Maths degrees. Furthermore, economics would also help! Economics is also benefical for Law, although no University really requires this. Politics is also great for Law, and will set you up well for the future. They're all good subjects! I'd recommend choosing your third based on what's the most practical, and choose a fourth you find genuinely interesting and are passionate for. The workload requires a passion!
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by ayumie)
If you like Maths for a degree, you could even consider Further Maths, it makes you very favourable for Maths degrees. Furthermore, economics would also help! Economics is also benefical for Law, although no University really requires this. Politics is also great for Law, and will set you up well for the future. They're all good subjects! I'd recommend choosing your third based on what's the most practical, and choose a fourth you find genuinely interesting and are passionate for. The workload requires a passion!
I understand politics is good for law but how does economics???
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
For maths, I think you need further maths. If you are looking at degrees, I suggest economics. Luckily for you, law as a degree doesnt require any a level subjects, assuming for english law; you dont even need a law degree to be a lawyer but a law degree is much easier. I suggest you take the ones you enjoy most or interested more.
ayumie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by PetitePanda)
I understand politics is good for law but how does economics???
Economics has several topics such as finance markets, inequality and poverty, conflicts between trade, employment. These can be beneficial, as it introduces you to the mechanisms of the world's economies and Governments.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Definitely don't do 4 A levels. Doing 4 won't give you an advantage nor will it look impressive. Even Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial, LSE etc don't consider doing 4 favourable to your application. Practically every single university ignores anything more than 3 A levels. Ergo, stick with 3 and don't do 4 (even if you're undecided or are aiming high). No extra gain for way too much work.

Regarding subjects, do whichever you find the most interesting and think you'll get the best grade in. None of those subjects (Econ, Criminology or Politics) are required for any university degree, so just do the one that'll get you the best grade. It literally doesn't matter what's more connected to a Law degree or what looks better; you mainly just need to focus on getting good grades.

Alternatively, consider doing FM as your third (and final) A level if you think you might want to pursue a Maths degree. In any case, make sure to talk to your school guidance teacher about university degree choices / apprenticeships / acting.
Last edited by Quick-use; 6 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (890)
42.75%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.88%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads