username5260290
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
My word count for my diss is 10,000. Right now with everything including my bibliography, acknowledgements ( which is a page long), abstract my word document is saying 11,000. But my conclusion is 1000 words, so is my intro and my chapters are of equal length. But I’m worried the marker will see the word count for the whole document actually says I’ve gone 1000 words over??? Is this normal??
Anonymous #1
Report 8 months ago
There is usually some leeway e.g. + or - 10%. Check your unit outline for the small details.
Usually the bibliography would not be included in the word count, along with the headings you used, and the acknowledgement section.
Use word count by highlight each section of the dissertation and add up the words according to the instructions in your unit outline. Keep note of how many words per each section.

The marker would be counting the words according to the unit outline. Otherwise it would be unfair, and there will be a case for bias marking.

Should you be in doubt, consider talking to your advisor about it.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by italiangirl78)
My word count for my diss is 10,000. Right now with everything including my bibliography, acknowledgements ( which is a page long), abstract my word document is saying 11,000. But my conclusion is 1000 words, so is my intro and my chapters are of equal length. But I’m worried the marker will see the word count for the whole document actually says I’ve gone 1000 words over??? Is this normal??
Check with your supervisor about what is included is the word count - some universities may not count the bibliography, front content (e.g. acknowledgements, contents page etc.), and appendices in the word count.
bits.of.bio
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Typically your submission guidelines will state what is included in the word count, and this excludes references. You should add up everything that is included in the word count and write it on your dissertation (usually on the cover page or after the acknowledgements)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
62.08%
I don't have everything I need (91)
37.92%

Watched Threads