The Student Room Group

Writing essays from memory as a means of revision? Active recall

What I have found quite very useful during my A-Levels is noting things down on paper from scratch. I'd test myself how much I can recall, that and exam question practice.

I will be starting university, and I was wondering If anyone has tried 'vomiting' knowledge around a particular topic as means for revision, particularly in an essay based format?

I've read a great deal about the active recall and spaced repetitions, so now I am slowly trying to work out the best practices that implement those core features.

I have an unjust fear of Anki flashcards - and any ones in general. I just feel like it will amount to be thousands worth of cards that would take more time to create than actually prove useful.
Original post by Silent0239
What I have found quite very useful during my A-Levels is noting things down on paper from scratch. I'd test myself how much I can recall, that and exam question practice.

I will be starting university, and I was wondering If anyone has tried 'vomiting' knowledge around a particular topic as means for revision, particularly in an essay based format?

I've read a great deal about the active recall and spaced repetitions, so now I am slowly trying to work out the best practices that implement those core features.

I have an unjust fear of Anki flashcards - and any ones in general. I just feel like it will amount to be thousands worth of cards that would take more time to create than actually prove useful.

Hi there!

If this is your method of learning, remembering and relaying the information back I would definitely recommend. This is exactly what I did to revise.

Throughout my life, I was highly involved in theatre, learning lines and songs etc so when I started Business Management that's how I would study for exams. I would make notes, colour code them and then learn them off by heart. When it came to exams, my notes were all stored in my memory and I could relay it all back with context to successfully answer the questions.

Not a lot of people can do this so own it and succeed!

Hope this helps!
Can help recall my essay For history paper 1 ,paper 2 ,business studies paper 1, paper 2 ,English home language paper 1 ,paper 2,paper 3

Quick Reply

Latest