AI073
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi, I'm in Year 10. I would like to med school after sixth form. I would like to accumulate as many UCAS points as possible for successful entry. I currently play the guitar and I hope to get to grade 6 at the minimum by the time I submit the application. I have already volunteered in a charity shop for six months but I know this doesn't earn any UCAS points. Are there any other ways to earn extra UCAS points?
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
UCAS points really don’t mean anything if you’re applying for medicine - universities will ask for grades (likely AAA or similar) as their entry requirements, and then the additional extras you will need will be things like work experience (in hospitals, care giving settings etc), strong performance in additional tests (such as the UCAT) and generally good academic history.

Focus on building up your experience and revising for your exams so you can achieve your best grades. Any extra curriculars such as guitar should be done because you genuinely enjoy it and as a relief from your studies, not just to gain points for an application
Krunker482
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by BlueEyedGirl_)
UCAS points really don’t mean anything if you’re applying for medicine - universities will ask for grades (likely AAA or similar) as their entry requirements, and then the additional extras you will need will be things like work experience (in hospitals, care giving settings etc), strong performance in additional tests (such as the UCAT) and generally good academic history.

Focus on building up your experience and revising for your exams so you can achieve your best grades. Any extra curriculars such as guitar should be done because you genuinely enjoy it and as a relief from your studies, not just to gain points for an application
Apart from Queen mary which is 50% ucas points and 50% ucat and people have crazy high ucas points
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by AI073)
Hi, I'm in Year 10. I would like to med school after sixth form. I would like to accumulate as many UCAS points as possible for successful entry. I currently play the guitar and I hope to get to grade 6 at the minimum by the time I submit the application. I have already volunteered in a charity shop for six months but I know this doesn't earn any UCAS points. Are there any other ways to earn extra UCAS points?
Unless you wish to apply to QMUL, there is not anything to be gained from having additional UCAS points per say.
However, learning instruments and volunteering would look very good on your personal statement, if you spin it right.
Last edited by glassalice; 6 months ago
BBx2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
UCAS points will not usually form part of an offer for Medicine, it will be based on A level grades & whichever medical test they stipulate.

UCAS points are only awarded for formally recognised Level 3 qualifications on the qualifications framework - academic, art/music/dance grade 6 up etc that are at level 3 etc. You would better to focus on gaining good grade & relevant experience for your application.
BBx2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Full details of ucas point can be found here https://www.ucas.com/file/259341/dow...token=GXu_Pq-H
AI073
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Thank you to all who replied! This has cleared up everything. Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (588)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.52%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
20.01%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.56%

Watched Threads