The Student Room Group

30 year old applying for graduate schemes?

Well hello there,

As the title says, I'm a 30 year old wanting to apply for a graduate scheme in assurance, read up about it, researched it and I want to give it a go. To say the least, I have a rather atypical employment profile. I have worked in different industries, ranging from business, education, charity and healthcare, I thoroughly enjoyed each step! However, I now want to invest all the knowledge and skills I've acquired into something more stable, and with clear progression. Enough about me, is there other older graduates in my position?

PS: I've graduated in Business and Management with a 2.1, and also have the required GCSEs

Feedback welcome?
Original post by ChaseYourself
Well hello there,

As the title says, I'm a 30 year old wanting to apply for a graduate scheme in assurance, read up about it, researched it and I want to give it a go. To say the least, I have a rather atypical employment profile. I have worked in different industries, ranging from business, education, charity and healthcare, I thoroughly enjoyed each step! However, I now want to invest all the knowledge and skills I've acquired into something more stable, and with clear progression. Enough about me, is there other older graduates in my position?

PS: I've graduated in Business and Management with a 2.1, and also have the required GCSEs

Feedback welcome?

Assuming you have graduated recently, then I would make preliminary enquiries to check you meet their criteria.
The age shouldnt be an issue, but it would help if you had some relevant experience, especially if its technical to support your interest in the industry. Is this an IB application or for insurance? You can ofc use your experience, but get the balance right between selling it enough and not overselling.
Reply 2
Original post by ChaseYourself
Well hello there,

Feedback welcome?

Firstly, well done on taking this step. Not easy in the current environment.

To be honest (and taking all my prior experience in these things into account), I think it would be a challenge to secure a graduate scheme role. Not for your age, but for the extensive experience you have - most firms would direct you towards experienced hiring. I know that in my past life, we used to get applications from 30+ year olds applying for our grad schemes, all with significant 8+ years of experience, and none of them made it to interview, although some did make it to interview for experienced hires.

I would reach out to a recruiter for the firm in question, maybe on LinkedIn, to get some unofficial advice.

Quick Reply

Latest