foziaaaaaa
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I'm in Year 11, but my school has sent out the EPQ thing early because of coronavirus, but I have no idea what to do. I've looked into it, and I get how you have to write an essay about something you're interested in, and I have some ideas but how do I just write an EPQ. Do I need to make up a question that I can answer? How long does it have to be? How do I know if it's even good? What makes a good EPQ? What does it actually do for me? I hope this makes sense and doesn't sound like I'm waffling
Becca216
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
To start with: An EPQ is the equivalent to half an A-level, it does not strictly count towards university applications but many unis offer reduces grade entry requirements if you get an A/A* in it. It can either be a 5000 word long report or an artifact with an 1000 word report.

The best way to start doing an EPQ is to mindmap things you are interested in researching in this can be anything - it can be related to your alevles/what you want to study at uni or it could be something totally random that you are interested in researching. The most important thing is that it is something that you are interested in as you are going to be spending a lot of time working on your EPQ. Yes, you will need to create the question or statement to answer how, you can do this later on once you know what you will be researching and it will be much easier.

Depending on your school, you are most likely going to have a monitor who will guide you through the process, however an EPQ is a very independent project so they will be there more as a guide rather than a teacher.

You can find some example EPQs online, I will get you the link to the EPQ mega thread in tsr, which is full of what titles people have done as well as a good place to ask any questions you have.

Don't be afraid to ask anything else and I hope this helps
Becca216
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3067233 <- if you have any questions this is a good place to start
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/for...lay.php?f=1454 <- the threads at the top of this place contain all the basic details about EPQs
llamayears
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Your teacher should guide you through the whole process of the EPQ, you don't just go jump in a write it. It's done in stages. First of all plan some ideas and see if there is research available online to see if your idea is viable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (665)
33.52%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (845)
42.59%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.41%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.49%

Watched Threads