What made you choose your degree?

Watch
twinklelittlstar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi I'm trying to decide which degree to pursue, but I just like everything. I see myself working as a nurse, but also as a journalist, teacher, even as a tourist guide. I'm starting university this year, and I'm wondering if there are people out there that feel the same way. Were you absolutely sure about your decision when you began studying what you did, or did you realise you'd chosen the right degree with time? What pushed you (or is pushing you) to choose that degree over others? Or have you just always been sure about what you wanted to dedicate yourself to? Thank you in advance for any response
Last edited by twinklelittlstar; 1 year ago
BlackNigel
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You just need to follow what you want to do and not anyone else because in the end it is your life and you should live it to the fullest. I did medicine because I really wanted to be a doctor even though no one wanted me to and it went amazing for me. Follow your heart. ✌and your welcome😉
SweetSummerx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by twinklelittlstar)
Hi I'm trying to decide which degree to pursue, but I just like everything. I see myself working as a nurse, but also as a journalist, teacher, even as a tourist guide. I'm starting university this year, and I'm wondering if there are people out there that feel the same way. Were you absolutely sure about your decision when you began studying what you did, or did you realise you'd chosen the right degree with time? What pushed you (or is pushing you) to choose that degree over others? Or have you just always been sure about what you wanted to dedicate yourself to? Thank you in advance for any response
I picked the subjects I was more interested in and felt I could do well in for A-Level. Then I picked my degree based on what subject I enjoyed most and career prospects. Think I knew I had picked the right degree in second year as my first year was very repetitive of A-Levels so I was a bit bored then.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by twinklelittlstar)
Hi twinklelittlstar

I picked my degree based of what I would enjoy studying the most, as I knew I would be studying the subject for a few years, so if I enjoyed it I would do well in it. Picking a degree can be hard but you should do something you enjoy in as it is a big investment. You could try looking at all the degrees you are considering and seeing how they are taught and what the career paths are for them, this may help you narrow it down. Good luck!

Zaira
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Pre-existing interest
physicsamor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Really there are so many options when choosing a degree don't limit yourself based on what other people tend to do. Looking back, I would have looked into a variety of other degrees like architecture, cybersecurity etc. You want to have some form of enjoyment for what you are studying. I chose my degree based on what subjects in school I was good at, it is a good degree but there is some regret. Luckily I can branch out with masters.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (48)
5.94%
Uncertainty around my education (92)
11.39%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (83)
10.27%
Lack of purpose or motivation (103)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
4.95%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.57%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (89)
11.01%
Financial worries (54)
6.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (37)
4.58%
Exposure to negative news/social media (51)
6.31%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.09%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (77)
9.53%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (64)
7.92%

Watched Threads