Identical or Enantiomers Chemistry help please

Watch
Leah.J
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I don't understand why the ones in A are identical and the ones in C aren't , I know that B are enantiomers because they're non-superimposable mirror images of each other but I don't know how to determine what A an C are
Name:  Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 3.44.03 PM.png
Views: 22
Size:  42.3 KB
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Rotate the second compound in A 120 degrees anticlockwise. Should be identical.
Rotate the second compound in C 120 degrees clockwise. Should see an enantiomer.
Mattp9850
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you're struggling to make sense of it, take a piece of a4 paper and roll it up to make a straw, repeat for a second piece. Twist one straw around the centre of the other and label the ends or colour code them to represent each molecule. You'll see as you rotate A in 3D space they're identical, it's just been rotated so the OH is facing away from you.
Leah.J
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mattp9850)
If you're struggling to make sense of it, take a piece of a4 paper and roll it up to make a straw, repeat for a second piece. Twist one straw around the centre of the other and label the ends or colour code them to represent each molecule. You'll see as you rotate A in 3D space they're identical, it's just been rotated so the OH is facing away from you.
can I ask another question ?
Its a stupid one but I don't know how to decide whether an alkene has a chiral center or not, Why isn't the C on the left here considered a chiral center ?Name:  Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 4.05.47 PM.png
Views: 15
Size:  15.1 KB
does it have to have 4 different groups attached to the double bond for their to be a chiral center ?

I'm sorry about the quality of the picture
Mattp9850
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Of course, no problem.

Yeah it has to has to be 4 different groups, as a general rule all alkenes are non-chiral with the exception of allenes.

They can still be stereoisomers though as they can't rotate about the double bond (with the exception of high temperature systems) and can't be superimposed.

I hope that makes sense!
Mattp9850
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
An alkene can be a group of a chiral carbon though! But the carbon in the double bond can't be.
Leah.J
Rep:
?
An alkene can be a group of a chiral carbon though! But the carbon in the double bond can't be.
Got it, one last thing please,
would the correct answer be C triple bond N here ?Name:  Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 6.18.01 PM.png
Views: 7
Size:  28.0 KB
Mattp9850
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Leah.J)
Got it, one last thing please,
would the correct answer be C triple bond N here ?Name:  Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 6.18.01 PM.png
Views: 7
Size:  28.0 KB
Yeah, it should be.

Do you have the full list of priorities of functional groups? The master organic chemistry website has a comprehensive list if you need it.
Last edited by Mattp9850; 1 year ago
Leah.J
Rep:
?
u

Yeah, it should be.

Do you have the full list of priorities of functional groups? The master organic chemistry website has a comprehensive list if you need it.
Alright thank youuu
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (199)
43.64%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (51)
11.18%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.68%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (97)
21.27%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (47)
10.31%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed