How are you celebrating VE Day?

Watch
omlette102
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Can you believe… that 75 years ago… on 8th May 1945… there was the party of all parties? Over a million people in the UK took to the streets to celebrate WW2 ending in Europe, following the death of the Adolf Hitler and the collapse of the Nazi party. People swam in the fountains at Trafalgar square, danced in the streets and gathered outside Buckingham Palace to see the Royal family and Winston Churchill wave to the British public.

Name:  VE day.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  109.6 KB
The young woman on the far left is our Queen Elizabeth, who had served in the war as a mechanic.

I’m a bit of a nerd when it comes to the second world war (can you tell?)

75 years on and we’re in a position again where we’re having to work together as a nation to keep others safe. We may not be able to have a party like those guys did, but that doesn’t mean we can’t 1945-it-up. Here’s five VE Day activities I’ll personally be doing to transport myself back to 1945 (lets, face it, 2020 is a bit of a bust):

1. Take part in the 11am two minutes silence to remember and pay respect to those who lost their lives in WW2
2. The Nations Toast to the Heroes: Much like our NHS clap on Thursdays, at 3pm on Friday 8th, Britons are invited to raise a glass and clap (not simultaneously… that would be messy) on their doorsteps to mark the occasion
3. Have a picnic or garden party in your own garden and put on a 1940’s playlist on spotify. No garden? Pretend you’ve liberated a bomb shelter and party it up in your living room
4. Eat scones. Loads of them
5. Learn the Lindy Hop (there’s videos on youtube), which was popular in 1945. I’ll attempt that when my husband goes for his walk so he doesn’t laugh at me

Has anyone else got plans for VE day? I would love to hear about them.
Last edited by omlette102; 9 months ago
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I'll be in bed till about 12 anyway

One of my granddads fought on in the Pacific until August, that's usually what I think about at this time of year
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
My family is from Jersey. To us it's not VE Day, it's Liberation Day. The day when Nazi occupation of the Channel Islands officially ended.
username5027880
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Sitting in my parents garden weather permitting, with a nice glass of red wine.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
The same thing I do everyday, sit in my living room and drink
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Saoirse!!)
I agree. I dislike the patriotism, because I don't believe the war is something anybody can be proud of, but I am grateful for the peace and freedom (NOT the victory and triumph - millions of people still died).
You don't believe people can be proud of the defeat of Nazism?

Utterly bonkers.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I agree. I dislike the patriotism, because I don't believe the war is something anybody can be proud of, but I am grateful for the peace and freedom (NOT the victory and triumph - millions of people still died).
You can enjoy a victory while still acknowledging the loss along the way.
The relief is something we can't identify with, but I'll never begrudge them a party.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I think you are missing the point.

War is not something to be proud of. Nobody is celebrating the scores of millions who died.

The people who lived through the war for six years were absolutely deserved of celebration and for us to remember, honour and pay homage to the dead for their sacrifices made to preserve the privileges we enjoy every day.

VE is a celebration: victory for freedom to live and let live, the triumph of humanity over pure evil. Nothing more, nothing less.
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
i don't ordinarily do anything and won't be this year but those are good suggestions
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (641)
48.56%
No (679)
51.44%

Watched Threads