Coeliac Disease AMA

Watch
Stb1750
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I have had Coeliac Disease and been gluten free for a short 19 months. Feel free to ask me anything about being Coeliac, the lifestyle changes, symptoms, diagnosis etc.
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
This probably sounds like a really stupid question but would you get really ill immediately if you ate gluten?
How did you adapt to a gluten free diet and actually find things that you like eating?
FYI: I used to work in a shop so I know that even if a product says wheat free on its not necessarily gluten free.
Stb1750
Rep:
?
(Original post by glassalice)
This probably sounds like a really stupid question but would you get really ill immediately if you ate gluten?
How did you adapt to a gluten free diet and actually find things that you like eating?
FYI: I used to work in a shop so I know that even if a product says wheat free on its not necessarily gluten free.
Thanks for your questions!

1) It's far from a stupid question as everyone reacts differently. For me my reactions tend to happen in the evening with severe stomach pain. Others feel the effects more instantly. Others are known as 'silent coeliacs' and feel no physical symptoms. The lining of the gut is sensitive so even a breadcrumb can bring on symptoms and damage the intestine.

2) I think it's led to me having a better diet to be honest. I make a lot more fresh meals now as opposed to my old favourite (and not so healthy) processed foods. However, gluten-free 'versions' or 'alternatives' are high in salt and sugars which is worth being mindful of; it's why I prefer cooking fresh meals now. The only down side is it can be time consuming; so if I leave dinner too late to cook from fresh then it can be difficult to find quick-to-make meals. A lot of things taste the same believe it or not; I find cakes taste the same for the most part, pizzas are a bit iffy for taste - some are nice, some are rotten to eat. Bread is definitely different for taste but I did find what I enjoyed by buying a variety of goods until I got 'that' product that I decided I would like to buy again. - Keep buying, tasting, and find what you enjoy. That's how I managed to get a good idea of what would be going on my gluten-free shopping lists.

3) Yeah that's true. It can be a bit bothersome and serve as a reminder that you should always check the label (even if you are in the specific free-from isle). The same goes for eating out, there are a lot of products going by the term 'free-from' but they aren't suitable for Coeliacs because they can't guarantee cross-contamination. Eating out, while options are better than what they were, can still be a bit awkward. You need to phone, ask if they serve gluten-free foods, and if they prevent cross-contamination. It's difficult to just walk-in to restaurants; unless you're a regular and know from past and regular visits that they cater for Coeliac Disease then that ups the confidence to just walk in and ask for a gluten-free menu.

I hope this helps and that I answered your questions well enough.
Last edited by Stb1750; 11 months ago
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
What do you think of people who make the lifestyle choice to go Gluten free?
Has COVID-19 panic buying made it more difficult to get any foods that are specifically gluten free?
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Did you manage to get all the things you needed when everyone was panic buying for lockdown a few weeks ago?

Also before you knew you had coeliac disease were you ever tired? I was tested myself for coeliac when I was 17 (turned out to be a negative diagnosis in the end) but i did get given a hypothyroidism diagnosis though
Stb1750
Rep:
?
(Original post by glassalice)
What do you think of people who make the lifestyle choice to go Gluten free?
Has COVID-19 panic buying made it more difficult to get any foods that are specifically gluten free?
1) I don't have any issues with those who do. If they want to change, then change they will. Although, it's not necessary to go gluten free if you don't have Coeliac Disease, allergies or sensitivities to gluten. Will you lose weight going gluten free? No. Actually, gluten free goods are higher in salt and sugar so it's definitely not a diet or weight loss program. But rather it's more or less a prescribed lifestyle for health reasons.

2) It was difficult to get bread products and flour for a while. Mostly though the gluten free isle's were least affected (at least in my area); I think other Coeliacs have had different experiences.
Stb1750
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chronoscope)
Did you manage to get all the things you needed when everyone was panic buying for lockdown a few weeks ago?

Also before you knew you had coeliac disease were you ever tired? I was tested myself for coeliac when I was 17 (turned out to be a negative diagnosis in the end) but i did get given a hypothyroidism diagnosis though
1) Bread and flour were more difficult to get in the free-from isles as I think people who weren't gluten-free were buying them as that's all they were left with. Although compared to the rest of the isle's the free-from sections were largely untouched. I said in a previous response that I prefer to cook everything fresh to mostly avoid all the high in salt and sugar products so to go into fresh meat isles and see the shelfs sitting empty was really frustrating. It was a frustrating time for us all and panic buyers should be more considerate. I have a condition, but what about those with severe allergens? What alternatives do they have? Yeah, on an overall picture it's frustrating.

2) I got progressively tired as my diagnosis went on. I wasn't tired to begin with; I actually thought I had IBS at the start and so did my Doctor but he decided to run tests just to be sure. Low-and-behold my results came back showing the anti-body and I was getting told I have a near 100% chance for having Coeliac Disease and was referred to endoscopy. The endoscopy was a long wait, and my symptoms got progressively worse with sleepless nights due to stomach pains (so that perhaps could of been what made me tired as well).
goldenusername
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Chronoscope)

Wow this was literally me! I went to the doctors complaining about stomach pains, tested negative for coeliac but diagnosed with underactive thyroid!
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Haha, what's with all the underactive thyroids in here? Me too!!

(Original post by Stb1750)
I have had Coeliac Disease and been gluten free for a short 19 months. Feel free to ask me anything about being Coeliac, the lifestyle changes, symptoms, diagnosis etc.
OP: you got any good recipe recommendations? My spouse cannot eat gluten or dairy and I do the cooking. Sometimes it's difficult to find recipes that don't take ages, don't take fancy ingredients, yet taste good and are cheap. Here is one in return (can vouch, it's awesome): https://www.budgetbytes.com/pan-frie...with-broccoli/ Secondly, Aldi here has a great selection of gluten free foods, from pizza (it's good) to doughnuts (they are very good!). Maybe check out Aldi?
Last edited by Sabertooth; 10 months ago
Stb1750
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
Haha, what's with all the underactive thyroids in here? Me too!!

OP: you got any good recipe recommendations? My spouse cannot eat gluten or dairy and I do the cooking. Sometimes it's difficult to find recipes that don't take ages, don't take fancy ingredients, yet taste good and are cheap. Here is one in return (can vouch, it's awesome): https://www.budgetbytes.com/pan-frie...with-broccoli/ Secondly, Aldi here has a great selection of gluten free foods, from pizza (it's good) to doughnuts (they are very good!). Maybe check out Aldi?
Try the Coeliac UK website; they have a bunch of recipe's. Really good one's as well. Plus it's a trusted source for Coeliac sufferers! Most gluten-free dishes normally tend to be time consuming, although you should be able to find dishes that are quick to make and perhaps budget friendly too. It's worth a look as they have so many (over 1,100 recipes; breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and treats).

Thanks for sharing the link as well. I will have a look as it's always good to branch out. Thanks again!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (124)
43.21%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (45)
15.68%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (113)
39.37%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
1.74%

Watched Threads