SK.B
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I'm intending to read Philosophy, Politics and Economics (UG) in the upcoming year as part of the 2020 Cohort.

I'm hoping to gain some insight and assistance in making a well informed decision about my future choice (Loughborough vs Sussex vs Southampton).

I will be as comprehensive as possible in what im seeking but appreicate all replies.

What I'm looking for my choice of university is:

How acadmedically challenging and reputable my degree would be relative to each of the three?

What is the variety of individuals attending? i.e international, sport focused, engineering focused, liberal arts focused...

How is night life? variety of clubs/scenes, activties i.e malls, ice rinks etc..

How clean and modern are accomdations?

-How suitable is it for my degree? the three uni's ranking quite differently in global and national charts...

I'm not introverted to a fault but I like a balance, I intent to join 1 sport society and others based around my hobbies and degree... I thoroughly enjoy exploring and trying new things... so which Uni would you recommend?

It's quite comprehensive and hefty, thank you in advance.

Feel free to ask me anything to help.

Best wishes,

S
kalina17
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SK.B)
Hi,

I'm intending to read Philosophy, Politics and Economics (UG) in the upcoming year as part of the 2020 Cohort.

I'm hoping to gain some insight and assistance in making a well informed decision about my future choice (Loughborough vs Sussex vs Southampton).

I will be as comprehensive as possible in what im seeking but appreicate all replies.

How acadmedically challenging and reputable my degree would be relative to each of the three?

What is the variety of individuals attending? i.e international, sport focused, engineering focused, liberal arts focused...

How is night life? variety of clubs/scenes, activties i.e malls, ice rinks etc..

How clean and modern are accomdations?

-How suitable is it for my degree? the three uni's ranking quite differently in global and national charts...

I'm not introverted to a fault but I like a balance, I intent to join 1 sport society and others based around my hobbies and degree... I thoroughly enjoy exploring and trying new things... so which Uni would you recommend?

Best wishes,

S
Hey

My best friend is studying in Sussex doing a PPE degree with a year abroad. She absolutely loves it there. I asked her some of your questions and I think Sussex will be really suitable for you!

All staff are really friendly and are always happy answering any questions or queries you may have. The assessments and overall work for that course really varies which I genuinely think is really great because you learn a lot of new skills like presentation skill, quantitative methods and debating. Since PPE is a subject that covers a bit of 3 completely different departments , you will get to meet a lot of interesting people with various interests which is something people with a single honours degree do not really get to enjoy.
Their reputation is really good as well especially for Politics and Philosophy. Their research output for PPE is also very respected. I think you should not only look at their overall ranking as a uni but things like student satisfaction and graduate prospects because obviously you do not want to go to a university where for example only 62% liked their course?!

Accommodation wise, I know that they are building some new ones this year that are supposed to be available for students that are joining in September 2020, however, due to the corona virus I am not sure if that is now postponed. Overall, I think the rooms are a little smaller than other university accommodation but benefits are that you are right on campus 4-7 mins away from all departments and most rooms have their own bathroom. The university is very international and so is the town. Therefore, you will most probably live with people from all over the world. My friend shares a flat with 9 people , some are from Singapore, Australia, France and Brazil.
Sussex has a huge advantage because the university is actually in a national park which has enabled them to really expand on sporting facilities. They have all sorts of clubs and societies so am sure you will find loads that you like and want to be a part of. The campus has a lot of green spaces where you can sit and enjoy the sun or walk around.

The city of Brighton that is 10 mins by bus from campus is probably one of the nicest cities in the UK. They have a vast range of things to do, many bars for all music tastes and preferences. Loads of little independent shops for all sorts of things. The whole city is covered in wall art and just overall it is a lovely colourful place to be in. They have a winter wonderland during X-mas , obviously it is not as big as the one in London but it is still good. They do have a huge ice rink in December. Also, apart from all the cool little shops there is a shopping centre/mall that has all the general brands like H&M, ZARA, Hollister. What I personally love about Brighton is the pier and the beach. In the summer it is so nice to sit o the rocky beach and enjoy the sunshine. Everything in Brighton is also quite cheap compared to other UK cities. If you ever get bored of Brighton, which I don't think you ever will, London is only 35 mins away by train so you can always go there for a crazy night out.

I do not think the PPE departments are as strong as Sussex in your other uni options. Southampton is best known for its prestigious engineering department and research whilst Loughborough is known for its impressive sport facilities hence their Sport Sciences are good. Most unis have like 'chat to students' platform usually that's ACCESS or UniBuddy. Try to see if your chosen unis have those and contact current students so you can see what they really think about nightlife, accommodation and their overall student experiences there.

I hope I was helpful
Loughborough University
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SK.B)
Hi,

I will be as comprehensive as possible in what im seeking but appreciate all replies.

How academically challenging and reputable my degree would be relative to each of the three?

How is night life? variety of clubs/scenes, activities i.e malls, ice rinks etc..

How clean and modern are accommodations?

Best wishes,

S
Hi SK.B,

I have pulled together some answers to your questions above, hope this helps.

How academically challenging and reputable my degree would be relative to each of the three?
Our PPE course is taught within our wiser School of Social Sciences and Humanities as part of the Politics and International Studies Department. This department is ranked 1st for Positive Destinations in Politics (DLHE, 2017). Graduates undertake a wide variety of careers in the private and public sectors, at home and abroad, in marketing, management, financial services, advertising, the armed forces, journalism, publishing, teaching and politics. Feedback shows that employers value the analytical and language skills of our graduates, and their detailed knowledge of the contemporary world.

What is the variety of individuals attending?
As with all our courses, students come from a diverse range of backgrounds and we have a strong international student community here at Loughborough, which you can find more about here.

We have a strong reputation for sport here at Loughborough which means there is a large number of clubs that you can join alongside your studies. In addition to this we offer a wide variety of activities that all student get involved with including our societies, RAG and Action projects.

How is night life?
The night life at Loughborough is varied. Our Students Union offers 3 nights out a week, plus various ticketed events throughout the year. There are also some clubs in town that offer student nights on the days the union does not host.

How clean and modern are accommodations?
Our newest accommodation is Claudia Parsons and an extra few blocks to Cayley. You can find more information about our accommodation here.

How suitable is it for my degree?
Please refer to our answer for your first question. Additionally, we rank 6th for Politics according to The Guardian Rankings and Top 10 in The Times and Sunday Times Rankings. We also hold 1st in the UK for Positive Destinations for our Politics Graduates according to The Guardian Rankings.

However, rankings don't matter if you are not going to be happy and thrive in the university you choose. Try to make a list of what you want from university and see where each compares. This will hopefully help you in deciding, forming a choice that you will be happiest in for the next three/ four years of your degree.

Hope this helps and any further questions drop us a PM.
Best Wishes,
Emily
Sunpomegranate
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sussex has a really good night life especially for when you move in to the town in 2nd and 3rd year. Lots of clubs, gigs, clubs etc. Has swimming pool in town, ice rink in winter and bowling alley etc as well as the pier, beach, cinema etc.
The got rid of the crap accommodation 2 years ago at Sussex so it’s all nice now, the new stuff is pretty expensive though. Right on campus so literally can roll out of bed. However in 2nd and 3rd year you’ll move into town and have to get bus or train, very quick and regular though.
I don’t know about your degree unfortunately but hope that helps
SK.B
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'd like to express my thanks to everyone, I'm just in limbo between Sussex and Loughborough, I understand both have good accomdations, ranking it seems to lean to LB nationally and internationally but my understanding is that Sussex is more known as a Humanities / Liberal arts university.

Night life seems to be more easily accessable at Sussex, which is also close to Brighton, while LB needs some journeying to nearing larger towns such as Nottingham, which however allows for mingling with other university students.

I appreicate everyone's respones and am continuing to evaluate my position.

Sincerely,
S
kalina17
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SK.B)
I'd like to express my thanks to everyone, I'm just in limbo between Sussex and Loughborough, I understand both have good accomdations, ranking it seems to lean to LB nationally and internationally but my understanding is that Sussex is more known as a Humanities / Liberal arts university.

Night life seems to be more easily accessable at Sussex, which is also close to Brighton, while LB needs some journeying to nearing larger towns such as Nottingham, which however allows for mingling with other university students.

I appreicate everyone's respones and am continuing to evaluate my position.

Sincerely,
S
At the end of the day you will have a brilliant time wherever you go! There are good and bad aspects of all unis.
What really helped make my choice between York and Essex a few weeks ago is that I made like a tally chart which specific factors that are important to me like accommodation, nightlife, transport, location, ranking ...etc. Then you give a point to whichever uni you think is best for either category. Pick the uni you can see yourself in.

Good luck with your choice and let us know what you decide in the end
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (55)
22.54%
Excited but a bit nervous (111)
45.49%
Not bothered either way (33)
13.52%
I'm really nervous (45)
18.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed