Studentboy1333
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, was just wondering if anyone would be kind enough to help me refine/title my EPQ ideas and also tell me if it is an appropriate LAW related EPQ and not completely delving into finance too much and rather the legislation side of finance as i want to do Law and include it in my law personal statement-

1-To what extent is modern UK legislation on tax effective and followed by citizens?
2-Is it possible for a modern UK citizen to legally not pay a large amount of tax they may be expected to?
3-Should the UK Judicial system / HMRC do more to combat Tax avoidance and tax evasion ?
4-Justify whether the actions of a modern UK citizen committing tax avoidance are acceptable in society
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I moved your thread to a more relevant forum 1 and 3 would be more law-related as 2 is more on citizen and tax rather than law/legal system and 4 is more on citizens and sociology (i think). 1 and 3 are great for law if you want to talk about the legal system and tax legislation. If you want to include it in your personal statement you need to decide if you want to make it into how your developed your interest in law (gives you more freedom) or if you want to make it so they know you know what the course and make the EPQ a reason why you want to do a law course (e.g. relate it to the compulsory modules but could be difficult to do) - you can still talk about skills you gained in EPQ. I only know of this area to some extent so I'm not a great source for specific knowledge of this area
Studentboy1333
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by PetitePanda)
Hi, I moved your thread to a more relevant forum 1 and 3 would be more law-related as 2 is more on citizen and tax rather than law/legal system and 4 is more on citizens and sociology (i think). 1 and 3 are great for law if you want to talk about the legal system and tax legislation. If you want to include it in your personal statement you need to decide if you want to make it into how your developed your interest in law (gives you more freedom) or if you want to make it so they know you know what the course and make the EPQ a reason why you want to do a law course (e.g. relate it to the compulsory modules but could be difficult to do) - you can still talk about skills you gained in EPQ. I only know of this area to some extent so I'm not a great source for specific knowledge of this area
Thanks so much, I agree. Definitely leaning more towards 1 and 3 , do you think theres sufficient articles and journals on the study of tax legislation though? As I'm very interested in this but it seems most people to do an EPQ in law resort to criminal law and therefore theres way more resources for that type of stuff - i presume i wouldn't struggle finding sufficient research right?
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Studentboy1333)
Thanks so much, I agree. Definitely leaning more towards 1 and 3 , do you think theres sufficient articles and journals on the study of tax legislation though? As I'm very interested in this but it seems most people to do an EPQ in law resort to criminal law and therefore theres way more resources for that type of stuff - i presume i wouldn't struggle finding sufficient research right?
I'm sure they will be some, especially on SSRN. I didnt think this was interesting ngl but I found it to be actually interesting to research. Ikr I see so many about criminal law. I'm doing an EPQ on law myself but my is more on theory itself and I worry about my resources as well. I dont think you'll struggle but I think I can see 1 having more resources rather than 3 because 1 is more broad while 3 is more specific and I can think of reasons for 3 but I dont know if that's enough for 5000 words
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (45)
27.95%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.7%
No I am happy with my choice (90)
55.9%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (12)
7.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise