How to Structure an answer in Comparing 2 texts At A Level

Watch
LiSkinDicaprio
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'd appreciate some guidance on how to structure an answer, my teachers are making us do it ourselves. I just confused.
Last edited by LiSkinDicaprio; 1 year ago
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is this at GCSE or A Level?
LiSkinDicaprio
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tolgarda)
Is this at GCSE or A Level?
A Level
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LiSkinDicaprio)
A Level
And is it OCR?
LiSkinDicaprio
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tolgarda)
And is it OCR?
English Lit. History ETC. AQA/EDEXCEL
Issieperdiz
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hey I did English lit edexcel and found that the comparison essays were quite different from the others. My teacher always said we should have two main points of comparison and then write basically 2 big paragraphs ( each paragraph comparing both books) to show how they present the theme similarly/ differently.

For example I compared Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale and Shelley’s Frankenstein. Say the question was how they present the theme of violence. I would have two main points ( easier if they are similarities between the books)
Point one might be, “both authors show how violence is used to control a person/ population”
and point two might be, “both authors present how mankind is naturally violent”( not great points but I hope you understand)

if you can find 2 overarching similarities between the books, make these your main points and then when going into depth you can show how they both achieve this differently.
Hope this wasn’t too confusing !! I can explain again or give you an example if it is
LiSkinDicaprio
Rep:
?
(Original post by Issieperdiz)
hey I did English lit edexcel and found that the comparison essays were quite different from the others. My teacher always said we should have two main points of comparison and then write basically 2 big paragraphs ( each paragraph comparing both books) to show how they present the theme similarly/ differently.

For example I compared Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale and Shelley’s Frankenstein. Say the question was how they present the theme of violence. I would have two main points ( easier if they are similarities between the books)
Point one might be, “both authors show how violence is used to control a person/ population”
and point two might be, “both authors present how mankind is naturally violent”( not great points but I hope you understand)

if you can find 2 overarching similarities between the books, make these your main points and then when going into depth you can show how they both achieve this differently.
Hope this wasn’t too confusing !! I can explain again or give you an example if it is
I'm doing Handmaids Tale and Streetcar Named Desire.
Any good resources on Handmaid it is so hard

Would Appreciate an example
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (94)
27.25%
England (113)
32.75%
Belgium (27)
7.83%
Germany (39)
11.3%
Spain (8)
2.32%