Should I resit if I recieved a 5 in maths GCSE and want to do CS

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
tuyktrd5ds5t
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I finished GCSEs in 2019 and recieved OK results, with one 6, five 5s and one 4, which was fine as I could choose to do A Level or any other further education qualification. I chose a course of a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Computing as my Sixth Form didn't support Computer Science in their study qualficiations. This course is equivilant to 3 A Levels.

So far, it's going pretty well, and from what I have seen, the course is in some respect harder that what I would've chosen for my A Level study, incoporating several more applicational skill requirements in order to recieve a good grade from the course.

I am on track to recieve DDM or DDD, however, I have noticed that several of the Russel Group universities offer their CS and SE BScs to BTEC L3 Extended Diploma applicants who achieve "Grade B or 6" in GCSEs, and as I achieved a grade 5, I am not sure if I meet this entry requirement. Grade 5 is a "strong pass" and technically a high C or a low B, what response would I get if I achieve the entry requirements for my course but have a "low B" in my maths GCSE?

Becuase of this, is it worth retaking GCSE maths? Or should I focus more on something else?
Last edited by tuyktrd5ds5t; 2 years ago
DoNotMove
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by tuyktrd5ds5t)
I finished GCSEs in 2019 and recieved OK results, with one 6, five 5s and one 4, which was fine as I could choose to do A Level or any other further education qualification. I chose a course of a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Computing as my Sixth Form didn't support Computer Science in their study qualficiations. This course is equivilant to 3 A Levels.

So far, it's going pretty well, and from what I have seen, the course is in some respect harder that what I would've chosen for my A Level study, incoporating several more applicational skill requirements in order to recieve a good grade from the course.

I am on track to recieve DDM or DDD, however, I have noticed that several of the Russel Group universities offer their CS and SE BScs to BTEC L3 Extended Diploma applicants who achieve "Grade B or 6" in GCSEs, and as I achieved a grade 5, I am not sure if I meet this entry requirement. Grade 5 is a "strong pass" and technically a high C or a low B, what response would I get if I achieve the entry requirements for my course but have a "low B" in my maths GCSE?

Becuase of this, is it worth retaking GCSE maths? Or should I focus more on something else?
Either retake or ask the unis if they have a maths entrance test - when they say B or 6 they mean if you took the old letter system, like I did then you need a B, and if you took 1-9 they want a 6 - so a 5 is not good enough. Though maths isn't necessarily important to Level 3 CompSci, it is a lot more important at a degree level. Even if you get into uni without getting that 6, I would still recommend improving your maths.

Edit: smaller universities are more likely to be lenient.
barror1
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
It may be worth speaking to your centre and seeing if they will let you resit. RG computer science can be really competitive and resitting will definitely make your application more competitive. You could always pay to resit your examinations externally and find a host centre as well if your college won't allow it!
greentiger
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tuyktrd5ds5t)

I would recommend doing an EPQ as these are highly respected by unis as a further aspect of study preparation for uni. A 5 in maths isn’t the end of the world, they will still take you into consideration, and will most likely accept you if you achieve the grades they list on the courses. Gcse’s would only be major if you achieved a 4 in maths as that’s a significant drop from what they require.
X
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (41)
25.95%
As I expected (52)
32.91%
Harder (58)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.43%

Watched Threads