Social life at Imperial College London

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a predicament at the moment with choosing a university to settle into this year. I managed to get offers from all of my university choices (Imperial, Leeds, Nottingham, Manchester, and Birmingham) for computing and managed to narrow it down to Leeds and Imperial. I feel like the chance to study at Imperial is a massive opportunity with great career potential however I'm having concerns about social life here. I am quite a social person and I'm worried I am not going to get the social life I want should I pursue Imperial. My question really is to what extent will I get a satisfying social life at Imperial and having that be such an important aspect for me, should I consider studying elsewhere?
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
Hi,
I think that you will actually be fine at Imperial. I had an offer from a place in London too and I was scared of this too. But in London a lot of the events are not just with your university but are shared with other universities around you. Also, someone that I know that attends a London university has friends from other universities in London and not just hers.
I wouldn’t worry.
London is a good place to study to make friends not just in one uni but in others too!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,
I think that you will actually be fine at Imperial. I had an offer from a place in London too and I was scared of this too. But in London a lot of the events are not just with your university but are shared with other universities around you. Also, someone that I know that attends a London university has friends from other universities in London and not just hers.
I wouldn’t worry.
London is a good place to study to make friends not just in one uni but in others too!
Yeah that's a good shout I think, it is a tough one it's just a big leap I suppose. Thank you
asif007
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
If it’s a choice between Leeds and London - London wins hands down every time. Go to Imperial.
FortitudeBank
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Yo, ICL student in Math here, class of 2020. I was in the same building than the computing students. There is definitely a lot to do outside of the uni and many people have a well-balanced social life as long as you're engaged in societies (e..g, sports "lads"...) and going out (although this might be refrained due to COVID for the next academic year). For so', once you're on campus most people are there to work (it's Imperial after all, the standards are really high), so don't expect much on campus, but trust me there have been memorable sports nights and night outs.

To me, personally seen your offers, kinda no brainer to firm Imperial, and then if you like put Leeds as second choice. Would you not regret turning Imperial down? Would have been a much tougher decision if Imperial vs Oxford tho.
Imperial students
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hey there!

I'm Nitish and I'm a 5th year Medic at Imperial

The social scene in London is absolutely incredible, and there's loads of social people at Imperial as well. Like everywhere else it's all about who you make friends with.

Another thing is that the department of computing society has loads of sponsorship so they tend to host really subsidised social events which should be right up your street.

Hope that helps!

Nitish
07jack03
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a predicament at the moment with choosing a university to settle into this year. I managed to get offers from all of my university choices (Imperial, Leeds, Nottingham, Manchester, and Birmingham) for computing and managed to narrow it down to Leeds and Imperial. I feel like the chance to study at Imperial is a massive opportunity with great career potential however I'm having concerns about social life here. I am quite a social person and I'm worried I am not going to get the social life I want should I pursue Imperial. My question really is to what extent will I get a satisfying social life at Imperial and having that be such an important aspect for me, should I consider studying elsewhere?
How have you found it? I have an offer for physics but still haven't accepted it due to concerns about social life at uni. The deadline is soon and I feel very pressured to submit my firm and backup choices as soon as possible so some advice would be great.
jamesrwr
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 07jack03)
How have you found it? I have an offer for physics but still haven't accepted it due to concerns about social life at uni. The deadline is soon and I feel very pressured to submit my firm and backup choices as soon as possible so some advice would be great.
I'm a first year physicist and this time last year I was weighing up between Imperial and Manchester (my other choices being Lancaster and Durham [Nat Sci.]). What made me pick Imperial over Manchester, even though Manchester has a "better student life", is the fact that it's London. It is impossible for a non-Londoner to be bored in London. Imperial has a very active sports life, as well as other events organised by clubs and societies. I too had concerns over the social life, but since being here I've had some of the best days of my life. Most people here are not anti-social, it just has that stigma because everyone does STEM.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (51)
26.15%
As I expected (64)
32.82%
Harder (72)
36.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.1%

Watched Threads