A level options for computer science at cambridge

Watch
Stoya
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I know Cambridge only requires 3 A levels for an offer but i intend to do 5 because the subjects i'll study at A level (I believe) will be good for compsci
my choices so far (i'm currently year 10) are: computer science, maths, further maths, physics, chemistry with an epq in computer science, is this a good idea?
Tinders
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
bloody hell 5 A-levels with EPQ?!

I mean it will certainly make you stand out that's for sure. Just be careful that you don't do so many A-levels that you end up with 5 ok grades rather than have 3 excellent ones. The latter would be far more desirable. GCSE's are much easier than A-levels. The jump is insane. But as long as are willing to do the work, which there will be a lot of, then by all means.
Stoya
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Tinders)
bloody hell 5 A-levels with EPQ?!

I mean it will certainly make you stand out that's for sure. Just be careful that you don't do so many A-levels that you end up with 5 ok grades rather than have 3 excellent ones. The latter would be far more desirable. GCSE's are much easier than A-levels. The jump is insane. But as long as are willing to do the work, which there will be a lot of, then by all means.
between my gcses and a levels i'm gonna study throughout the holiday for all of my a level subjects, this is dependant on me doing well on my gcses, which i'm not.
Tinders
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Stoya)
between my gcses and a levels i'm gonna study throughout the holiday for all of my a level subjects, this is dependant on me doing well on my gcses, which i'm not.
You are certainly very ambitious. Which is a good thing. I don't see why you couldn't, but be pragmatic about it. If 5 A-levels is too much don't be afraid to drop down. Very few people will have done 5. Almost everyone does 3, and a few do 4.
KarolL
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
If you plan for CompSci I am not sure where A-level chemistry would come handy. If I were you I would rather focus more on maths and prepare for STEP (as far as I know it is not required, maybe Peterhouse wants it, but you would need to check). A 1 even in STEP1 only would really stand out in your application. As Tinders mentioned, 5 good A-levels is no deal breaker, but 3 excellent ones is a whole different story.
I am not sure about Computer Science, but I know for sure that Cambridge admission tutors consider additional qualification as a plus (you might want to think of some internships or additional courses rather than raking up exams). The third thing why I would drop chemistry is that it is a practical heavy subject. It is a lot of fun, but since you want to take physics already, you would already have some practicals to do.
Paralove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Focus on doing double maths and physics, and maybe one more. Maths and physics are by far the most relevant and best preparation for the course.

EPQ won't be as relevant for an application as doing maths.

Getting A*A*A is far more important than AAAAA or A*AAAA in doing 5. Doing more but not reaching the grades required for the course won't get you in.
R T
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Stoya)
I know Cambridge only requires 3 A levels for an offer but i intend to do 5 because the subjects i'll study at A level (I believe) will be good for compsci
my choices so far (i'm currently year 10) are: computer science, maths, further maths, physics, chemistry with an epq in computer science, is this a good idea?
Just make sure you do Maths and Further Maths. The last 2-3 are honestly just up to you and should probably just be the ones you will do well in (most people strong in maths find physics easy for example).

Almost nothing you will learn in physics, chemistry and a disappointing amount of the computer science A-Level will be used in the actual degree (Computer science at a university like cambridge is just borderline pure maths with the applied bits deriving heavily from A-Level methods in the pure modules). Likewise, at the interview (or any test at the interview) - they will solely focus on Maths and Mathematical-logic based puzzles and problems.

Doing 3 vs 4 vs 5 A-Levels will make little difference to impress them. It's nice to have some back up A-Levels though (I say this as someone who also chose to do 5 A-Levels).
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by KarolL)
If you plan for CompSci I am not sure where A-level chemistry would come handy. If I were you I would rather focus more on maths and prepare for STEP (as far as I know it is not required, maybe Peterhouse wants it, but you would need to check). A 1 even in STEP1 only would really stand out in your application. As Tinders mentioned, 5 good A-levels is no deal breaker, but 3 excellent ones is a whole different story.
I am not sure about Computer Science, but I know for sure that Cambridge admission tutors consider additional qualification as a plus (you might want to think of some internships or additional courses rather than raking up exams). The third thing why I would drop chemistry is that it is a practical heavy subject. It is a lot of fun, but since you want to take physics already, you would already have some practicals to do.
To confirm, we don't require STEP for Computer Science
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads