The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
all hail the polemic LSE list. The existence of anything that pisses off opinionated A level students this much cannot be a bad thing, surely...
Reply 381
Flukey
Looking at those results, males tend to go for physics and females tend to go for biology and both seem to go for chemistry on average.
Interesting that, the same can be on about maths, more males seem to go for maths then females, thus does this mean females dont like maths and physics as much as males?

Ironically enough i do AS Maths and Physics :rolleyes:

I girl!

I do AS maths and physics.

I am the only girl in physics. :frown: 20000 boys take physics, 7000 girls do (approx) interesting, eh?

Was the only girl for most of the year in maths.

-Kavanne
Reply 382
Sorry, but although I have not been able to follow and read the last 5 pages of posts... Although the following thought may be a narrow minded one, BUT I'd just like to ask whether anyone has made the following point:

People who do media studies are people who either enjoy the sound of the subject and have interest in it, OR for people who may have realised that they can't do academic studies like chemistry etc and sit exams etc, and so choose the so called 'easy going' subjects thinking that the subject is all hands on and no tests etc. For these people, they may not have realised that being an A Level - in media for eg, doesn't mean you won't sit any exams. And so these people, when they sit there exams and get there results, find that they can't do A Levels altogether, and that choosing an alternative route like GNVQ/NVQ would have been better even before they chose their A level options. People know from the end of secondary school whether they want to follow the academic line or go through the GNVQ/NVQ etc line. And so these people don't know whether they will be able to face the challenge of A Level. That's why theres a higher passrate for say maths etc.

If I were in Yr 11 and I weren't that bright in especially chemistry, and someone says what A levels you choosing; either chemistry or media? Then I would choose media, all because I've been through chemistry upto yr11 and I dont like it. SO i'd want to experiment and try a new course. THATS THE PROBLEM THOUGH, people try new things and end up in a mess not realising what they can and can't do.

In general, I'd say that theres a higher passrate for maths etc becasue the people who chose maths as an option, are mostly following something they like and are good at it, and are people who understand that maths is a hard working subject. Whereas, theres a low passrate for media etc, because the people who arent academic, choose these subjects are trying out new subjects as an alternative to academic ones and once they find out they can't do the subject, they still stay in and get bad grades, cause they want to get an A Level and go to UNIVERSITY... if you see what I'm on about....

Enough waffling, I'll leave it for you to decide.
Reply 383
nayanayan
Sorry, but although I have not been able to follow and read the last 5 pages of posts... Although the following thought may be a narrow minded one, and I wouldn't blame you otherwise, BUT I'd just like to ask whether anyone has made the following point:

People who do media studies are people who either enjoy the sound of the subject and have interest in it, OR for people who may have realised that they can't do academic studies like chemistry etc and sit exams etc, and so choose the so called 'easy going' subjects thinking that the subject is all hands on and no tests etc. For these people, they may not have realised that being an A Level - in media for eg, doesn't mean you won't sit any exams. And so these people, when they sit there exams and get there results, find that they can't do A Levels altogether, and that choosing an alternative route like GNVQ/NVQ would have been better even before they chose their A level options. People know from the end of secondary school whether they want to follow the academic line or go through the GNVQ/NVQ etc line. And so these people know whether they will be able to face the challenge of A Level. That's why theres a higher passrate for say maths etc.

If I were in Yr 11 and I weren't that bright in especially chemistry, and someone says what A levels you choosing; either chemistry or media? Then I would choose media, all because I've been through chemistry upto yr11 and I dont like it. SO i'd want to experiment and try a new course. THATS THE PROBLEM THOUGH, people try new things and end up in a mess not realising what they can and can't do.

In general, I'd say that theres a higher passrate for maths etc becasue the people who chose maths as an option, are mostly following something they like and are good at it, and are people who understand that maths is a hard working subject. Whereas, theres a low passrate for media etc, because the people who arent academic, choose these subjects are trying out new subjects as an alternative to academic ones and once they find out they can't do the subject, they still stay in and get bad grades, cause they want to get an A Level and go to UNIVERSITY... if you see what I'm on about....

Enough waffling, I'll leave it for you to decide. NB. This is just a view- not what I actually think!

Well it mostly describes what i think!!
Reply 384
SinghFello
Yes. A2 Business Studies.
I also take two traditional subjects at A2 level(physics, and geography), and 2 traditional(ish) AS subjects (Geology and Maths). Plus an AS level in Computing that I completed a few years ago, So my statement is completely unbias.

Some material is about as difficult as geography, but the exams are MUCH, MUCH easier. Anyone that thinks these sorts of subjects are hard are either, not acedemically apt, or dont know what hard subjects are like.

who said A2 business was a 'soft' subject? i cant do business to save my life, but then maths i can. theres no soft subject, but if u choose subjects that are to your strengths you'll find it a load easier, so it could be a soft subject to yourself
Reply 385
Undry1
How come people who get three wishes from a genie don't wish for an unlimited number of wishes?

Totally OT:

That against the rules. No wishing for love, no wishing to bring people back from the dead and no wishing for more wishes! :wink:
Reply 386
Kard
Totally OT:

That against the rules. No wishing for love, no wishing to bring people back from the dead and no wishing for more wishes! :wink:

dammit. now il have to think of a new thought :mad:
why dont they wish for another genie? :confused:
Reply 388
Genie's would be smarter than that. :smile:

Anyway back on topic; there are no Mickey Mouse A levels except for Film Studies where you might watch a Disney Film with Mickey Mouse in it.
Reply 389
Kard
Genie's would be smarter than that. :smile:

Anyway back on topic; there are no Mickey Mouse A levels except for Film Studies where you might watch a Disney Film with Mickey Mouse in it.

talking bout mickey mouse subs... check dis out... i heard theres a degree on the life of bekham!!!! more like :confused: and also degrees/qualification can be awaerded in wheelclamping.... lol thats just too funny....

'so what degree do u haave rupert...' 'a degree in medicine, how bout u alexender?'

'uuummm, well.......... uuuurrrggggg.........i...i.... i'm qualified in wheel clamping.......[hesitation] ....but,....but.... ive got a certifucate as well...[chuffed]

:rolleyes: lol
Law's Mickey Mouse? Oh, how I wish I'd taken Travel and Tourism.
Reply 391
2 5 +
Law's Mickey Mouse? Oh, how I wish I'd taken Travel and Tourism.

I actually do, at my college they must of been on about 5 'educational trips' to the canary islands... to be fair my maths teacher promised we could go to milton keynes, but he lied. :frown:
Reply 392
A-levels are A-Levels.
Reply 393
usa1981
A-levels are A-Levels.

:eek:

Now that's a controversial statement if ever I saw one

:p:

-Kavanne
Reply 394
well no point on taking "harder" sunjects if they are completly unrelated to career ambitions. dat would be STUPID! i dont think anyone has the right to say these subjects are "soft" until they have actually taken them themselves. anyway, its all down to what the individual enjoys. it would be a pretty borin world if everyone found readin a maths book riviting and vice versa.

so i dont think its fair to call any subject "mickey mouse" subjects! the only reason the world survives is because of different peoples skills in different areas. let each person be....u cant be SO intelligent by having such a NARROW minded attitude!!!
Reply 395
crazylass
well no point on taking "harder" sunjects if they are completly unrelated to career ambitions. dat would be STUPID! i dont think anyone has the right to say these subjects are "soft" until they have actually taken them themselves. anyway, its all down to what the individual enjoys. it would be a pretty borin world if everyone found readin a maths book riviting and vice versa.

so i dont think its fair to call any subject "mickey mouse" subjects! the only reason the world survives is because of different peoples skills in different areas. let each person be....u cant be SO intelligent by having such a NARROW minded attitude!!!

yah dats a weeeeelly good point like. BE INDIVIDUAL AND LIBERAL EVERYONE, JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE!!!!!!!!! peace out

Latest