The Student Room Group

A level choices

Hi all. I want to do English language, literature and maths for a levels because I would like to study law at uni, English is a useful subject to ha e and math can get me into economics or accountancy and Finance as I’ve considered these areas if I end up not wanting to do law. My mum thinks I would be better of with one of the English subjects, Economics and maths as these subject choices go well into doing Economics or accountancy and finance. At the moment my choices of university might be Cambridge, UCL and Glasgow. I’ve just had a look at the top 10 uni’s in the UK for law, currently - and not looked at any other universities online. Please let me know what you think. Wouldn’t it be better to do the English subjects as it would be better on application that I’ve got the useful subjects, going into law? Any further advice for uni? Plus what subject do you think is harder to get a top grade in; literature or Economics?
Reply 1
Original post by HDR21
Hi all. I want to do English language, literature and maths for a levels because I would like to study law at uni, English is a useful subject to ha e and math can get me into economics or accountancy and Finance as I’ve considered these areas if I end up not wanting to do law. My mum thinks I would be better of with one of the English subjects, Economics and maths as these subject choices go well into doing Economics or accountancy and finance. At the moment my choices of university might be Cambridge, UCL and Glasgow. I’ve just had a look at the top 10 uni’s in the UK for law, currently - and not looked at any other universities online. Please let me know what you think. Wouldn’t it be better to do the English subjects as it would be better on application that I’ve got the useful subjects, going into law? Any further advice for uni? Plus what subject do you think is harder to get a top grade in; literature or Economics?

Your mum is probably right! And A levels are just hard. Period. Russell group unis. like a bunch of A grades!
Reply 2
Would you be doing English Lang + Lit as two separate A-Levels. Plus, your Mum does sound right. Maths is more open than Eng Lang etc. Although, this varies.
Reply 3
What about economics compared to English language and literature? @ayumie
ce for uni? Plus what subject do you think is harder to get a top grade in; literature or Economics?
For accounting, finance and english law, they dont require any a levels so you'll be fine but for economics, most require A level maths. For Law, take the ones you enjoy so you can motivate yourself in getting the grades unis want for law. All A levels are hard so it's relative - it depends on how much you'll work for it. If you think you'll do well in english, go for it but dont take it just because it might help you for law - a lot of subjects help you for law so take the ones you think will enjoy
Reply 5
Original post by PetitePanda
ce for uni? Plus what subject do you think is harder to get a top grade in; literature or Economics?
For accounting, finance and english law, they dont require any a levels so you'll be fine but for economics, most require A level maths. For Law, take the ones you enjoy so you can motivate yourself in getting the grades unis want for law. All A levels are hard so it's relative - it depends on how much you'll work for it. If you think you'll do well in english, go for it but dont take it just because it might help you for law - a lot of subjects help you for law so take the ones you think will enjoy

What’s ce and thank you so much for the detailed response. It’s of great help.
Original post by HDR21
What’s ce and thank you so much for the detailed response. It’s of great help.

I quoted it and cut off a bit of your response. It starts at “For accounting...”
As above, A-level Economics isn't required for any degree programmes in the UK I know of, including economics courses. Economics degrees normally require A-level Maths, and some prefer A-level Further Maths (i.e. LSE). In all honesty most accounting courses in the UK don't even require A-level Maths if you have a grade A or equivalent in GCSE Maths, although there are some exceptions. Law degrees have no specific subject requirements.

In short, you can choose more or less whatever you want if you are taking A-level Maths, as that gives you all the options you want to take. I would note taking A-level English Lit and A-level English Lang as separate A-levels may be viewed as less competitive by e.g. LSE, which prefers applicants to have a breadth of subjects. Most other universities probably won't particularly care though.

That said, I'd only suggest taking A-level English Lit if you are specifically interested in and enjoy literary analysis. If adopting various readings of texts and undertaking close analysis of the text alongside those isn't that appealing (e.g. if you just generally like reading literature) it can quickly become quite a chore. It may be worth noting, in perhaps a similar vein, A-level English Language hugely similar to GCSE English Language, from what I can tell. There is a little bit of original writing content for it, but a lot of it is more focused on developing some basic concepts from linguistics (aspects of language development, phonetics and phonology, English grammar etc, more than writing skills/methods.
Reply 8
Thanks for the detailed response @artful_lounger

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending