Would this workload be too much? Is Core Maths worth it?

Watch
07dasein
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
The sixth form I'm going to requires us to take 4 A-levels in the first year. Most people are expected to drop one in the second year. Everybody is also required to do a club, a sport and an EPQ. In addition to this, some students are offered the opportunity of doing Core Maths if they want to pursue Maths but don't have grades high enough to do it for A-level. I'm going to study Biology, Psychology, History and English Literature for A-level. Although I like Maths, I'm only competent and it's my weakest subject, expecting to get a 6 or 7 at GCSE. I kind of want to take Core Maths because I have the impression that it would help me with Biology and Psychology and would support me if I decide to study Business Management or something like that. I don't know. I feel like this sixth form's high standards are making me lose touch with reality, I don't know if Core Maths is worth it.
chi2
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by 07dasein)
The sixth form I'm going to requires us to take 4 A-levels in the first year. Most people are expected to drop one in the second year. Everybody is also required to do a club, a sport and an EPQ. In addition to this, some students are offered the opportunity of doing Core Maths if they want to pursue Maths but don't have grades high enough to do it for A-level. I'm going to study Biology, Psychology, History and English Literature for A-level. Although I like Maths, I'm only competent and it's my weakest subject, expecting to get a 6 or 7 at GCSE. I kind of want to take Core Maths because I have the impression that it would help me with Biology and Psychology and would support me if I decide to study Business Management or something like that. I don't know. I feel like this sixth form's high standards are making me lose touch with reality, I don't know if Core Maths is worth it.
Core maths isn't really a rigorous qualification, at least compared to A-level maths. The maths in biology (although not much) should be enough for you and is probably the kind of maths you would use at degree level. However, I guess if you would rather continue doing some maths so you maintain a certain ability level then there is no harm in doing it. Sometimes it can be advantageous in that unis drop a grade in their requirements so instead of AAB they ask for ABB, but that really depends on the uni!

Make sure to check some uni course requirements for maths qualifications, some unis might ask for two sciences (often psychology doesn't count) for a course like biology.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I dont really see the point in core maths if you want it to help for biology and psychology since the content you learn will be different and there's not a lot of maths in psychology than what my cousin tells me. Normally I think it would be fine but I'm not sure if you should take it because the 3 main a levels you are taking workload is hard but more so with a club, sport and EPQ on top.
becausethenight
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by 07dasein)
I do biology and didn't take maths A level (or any maths beyond basic maths GCSE), and I'm predicted an A*. The maths you do in biology is either very simple (calculate a mean, calculate a percentage change), or very specific to biology (statistical tests). I haven't studied psychology, but I would be surprised if you needed more maths skills than biology. If you like maths, and would rather do that than an extra club or having a nap or whatever else you might do with the time, go for it, but you won't suffer in your subjects for not doing it
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
People take these subjects without maths A-level or an additional maths qualification as above.

As to it helping you at degree level, it might help in giving you prior exposure to some concepts, but they will be taught from scratch if the programme doesn't require a-level maths.

I don't know if any programme explicitly recommends core maths or offers a reduced offer if you take it. This might be worth looking in to.
Last edited by _gcx; 5 months ago
UniofGreenwich
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi 07dasein,

I studied Alevel psychology and Maths and would say that the statistics I did for Alevel did not really match at all with the maths that we did in psychology. I think that you would be fine without the core maths for your Alevels. If you want to do Business at university, you might not need to have studied maths to apply (at least from what I have researched).

Hopefully this is helpful!

Duncan :groovy:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (134)
14.82%
I'm not sure (40)
4.42%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (273)
30.2%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.43%
I'm not a current university student (435)
48.12%

Watched Threads