SophiaBr
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I have offers from the MMU and Ravensbourne for Fashion Design.
I'm not sure which Uni to choose.

Can someone tell me about their expericenes at the Unis and the cities?
Thank you!
Jxnelle01
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SophiaBr)
Hi, I have offers from the MMU and Ravensbourne for Fashion Design.
I'm not sure which Uni to choose.

Can someone tell me about their expericenes at the Unis and the cities?ey
Thank you!
Hi, I had offers from both of them universities too for fashion! I ended up choosing Ravensbourne over MMU as there are more opportunities in London.
SophiaBr
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jxnelle01)
Hi, I had offers from both of them universities too for fashion! I ended up choosing Ravensbourne over MMU as there are more opportunities in London.
Hi,
thanks for your reply!! Are you already studying at Ravensbourne or also starting in September?
username402722
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I now work near to Ravensbourne and sometimes use the cafe (or did before the restrictions meant I work at home). From what I hear it does not have a strong reputation, but that is not as a student there. It's in an area with little other than a few office buildings and the O2 arena.

The students seemed to me quite a lot of fashion victims and not people I would find appealing.
Jxnelle01
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,
thanks for your reply!! Are you already studying at Ravensbourne or also starting in September?
Hopefully starting in September, Have you firmed your choice yet?
SophiaBr
Rep:
?
(Original post by barnetlad)
I now work near to Ravensbourne and sometimes use the cafe (or did before the restrictions meant I work at home). From what I hear it does not have a strong reputation, but that is not as a student there. It's in an area with little other than a few office buildings and the O2 arena.

The students seemed to me quite a lot of fashion victims and not people I would find appealing.
hey, thanks for your reply!
From who did you hear about the reputation? ;D
But yes, the uni concerning, I tend towards Manchester, but on the other hand: London is London
SophiaBr
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jxnelle01)
Hopefully starting in September, Have you firmed your choice yet?
No, not yet, as I still can't decide.
username402722
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hey, thanks for your reply!
From who did you hear about the reputation? ;D
But yes, the uni concerning, I tend towards Manchester, but on the other hand: London is London
One or two of the people I work with, one of whom used to work in academia. The other thing to mention is that where it is situated is nowhere near central London and the Underground there is very crowded in normal times because it is one stop from Canary Wharf. There is very little other than the O2 nearby, with expensive places to eat if you do not eat at the college's cafe. Their food is good but a bit predictable in the choices offered.

So it's not the London experience that you would get with UAL or Goldsmiths, or for more traditional courses at Birkbeck, UCL, Kings or LSE, to give examples.

MMU by contrast is central to Manchester's nightlife and not far from the city centre.
moosec
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi from a student
Rave has a good reputation within the creative industries, as shown through its very good employment rate after graduation (
19 out of 20 students are in employment or further study within 6 months of graduating)... most creative places you go, if you mention you study at Rave, chances are they know of it & are usually impressed. As someone has mentioned, perhaps not the best in terms of academia... but I don't think many students who consider Rave aspire to work in academia after graduation lol... but if you do, it's way too industry-focussed for that (consider somewhere else.)

The out-of-central location hasn't prevented me having a decent time tbh, nor has it hindered my prospects. I've met some amazing people, made some amazing memories, and had some exceptional professional opportunities. In terms of things to do in the local area, the O2 offers discounts for Rave students... most students get tesco meal deals, some bring in their own & use the microwaves provided where necessary, the rest are usually found in Wasabi or ByChloe where the discount is particularly good lol. After uni we'd go for 2-for-1 cocktails at las iguanas, or hop on the bus to Spoons in Greenwich.
Most (if not all) of our freshers events & social events are in central, so we get the same London nightlife as other students & frequently bump into students from uni's all over London. Just because our campus is a bit out of the way doesn't necessarily mean you will be: a lot of students choose to live away from Greenwich Peninsula, and even those who do live on the peninsula don't find it much of a hassle getting elsewhere
Camilazuniga
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is so good to hear. I'm starting raves foundation course in September and Im super excited. I was a little nervous hearing some negative reviews about the place. I've heard lots of fashion students complaining about the course, but the people in the more digital focused majors like Graphics and Film tend to have more positive experiences with their studies. Did you stay in the accommodation they are associated with? I'm choosing between a couple buildings, Cass, Claredale, and Davies. Do you know anything about these buildings reputation?
SophiaBr
Rep:
?
(Original post by moosec)
Hi from a student
Rave has a good reputation within the creative industries, as shown through its very good employment rate after graduation (
19 out of 20 students are in employment or further study within 6 months of graduating)... most creative places you go, if you mention you study at Rave, chances are they know of it & are usually impressed. As someone has mentioned, perhaps not the best in terms of academia... but I don't think many students who consider Rave aspire to work in academia after graduation lol... but if you do, it's way too industry-focussed for that (consider somewhere else.)

The out-of-central location hasn't prevented me having a decent time tbh, nor has it hindered my prospects. I've met some amazing people, made some amazing memories, and had some exceptional professional opportunities. In terms of things to do in the local area, the O2 offers discounts for Rave students... most students get tesco meal deals, some bring in their own & use the microwaves provided where necessary, the rest are usually found in Wasabi or ByChloe where the discount is particularly good lol. After uni we'd go for 2-for-1 cocktails at las iguanas, or hop on the bus to Spoons in Greenwich.
Most (if not all) of our freshers events & social events are in central, so we get the same London nightlife as other students & frequently bump into students from uni's all over London. Just because our campus is a bit out of the way doesn't necessarily mean you will be: a lot of students choose to live away from Greenwich Peninsula, and even those who do live on the peninsula don't find it much of a hassle getting elsewhere
Thanks for your answer!!
moosec
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Camilazuniga)
This is so good to hear. I'm starting raves foundation course in September and Im super excited. I was a little nervous hearing some negative reviews about the place. I've heard lots of fashion students complaining about the course, but the people in the more digital focused majors like Graphics and Film tend to have more positive experiences with their studies. Did you stay in the accommodation they are associated with? I'm choosing between a couple buildings, Cass, Claredale, and Davies. Do you know anything about these buildings reputation?
Yeah I can’t speak for Fashion specifically because I’m on Music so haven't spoke to many fashion students besides the ones in my Halls haha! But I've enjoyed my course & I know people on Design courses who have enjoyed theirs too I'm not too sure about the structure of the fashion course, but their outcomes within the industry seem to be very good... there's some pretty big-name Rave alumni in the fashion industry & they seem to consistently do well at Graduate Fashion Week and whatnot.
I stayed in accommodation yes, I was in Farndale in my first year. I've heard of the ones you've named but have never been... all I know is that Sir John Cass is aimed more at first years/foundation students whereas Claredale is aimed more towards continuing students (2nd/3rd Years & postgraduates)
Last edited by moosec; 1 year ago
Camilazuniga
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by moosec)
Yeah I can’t speak for Fashion specifically because I’m on Music so haven't spoke to many fashion students besides the ones in my Halls haha! But I've enjoyed my course & I know people on Design courses who have enjoyed theirs too I'm not too sure about the structure of the fashion course, but their outcomes within the industry seem to be very good... there's some pretty big-name Rave alumni in the fashion industry & they seem to consistently do well at Graduate Fashion Week and whatnot.
I stayed in accommodation yes, I was in Farndale in my first year. I've heard of the ones you've named but have never been... all I know is that Sir John Cass is aimed more at first years/foundation students whereas Claredale is aimed more towards continuing students (2nd/3rd Years & postgraduates)
Ohh nice, Farndale seems super nice but I ended up narrowing down my options to the cheaper ones. I factored the number of weeks in the contract into the overall prices and Farndale had one of the longest contract. I think it was like 50 weeks. Do you know if you can make the contract smaller and does it have to be exactly that?
moosec
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Camilazuniga)
Ohh nice, Farndale seems super nice but I ended up narrowing down my options to the cheaper ones. I factored the number of weeks in the contract into the overall prices and Farndale had one of the longest contract. I think it was like 50 weeks. Do you know if you can make the contract smaller and does it have to be exactly that?
I have no idea sorry. Probably best to contact them directly
I chatted with my friend who stayed in Claredale in second year & she said that its nice, but she said you can only apply for one building at a time so cant apply for both cass & claredale
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads