Foundation year Biology-Do GCSEs matter?

Watch
Foxfeet
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,
I’m looking at doing a foundation year in biology (pref at Manchester), I only do one science which means I’d have to do one to go to Manchester uni. I was wondering, do GCSEs matter? My average grade is high, but maths was a 4 and science 6,5. My other grades were 7s and above. Do you think I will not be considered?
_emma._.louise_
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't know the answer to this personally but a lot of the time unis will mention what grades you need at A-Level and any GCSEs that are needed. I can't see them being overly bothered but again, I don't know
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Foxfeet)
Hi,
I’m looking at doing a foundation year in biology (pref at Manchester), I only do one science which means I’d have to do one to go to Manchester uni. I was wondering, do GCSEs matter? My average grade is high, but maths was a 4 and science 6,5. My other grades were 7s and above. Do you think I will not be considered?
You need to check the entry requirements. They may want grade 6 in Maths and science but this will show on the entry requirements
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It doesnt look like you need a higher gradeApplicants must demonstrate a broad general education including acceptable levels of Literacy and Numeracy, equivalent to at least Grade 4 or C in GCSE/iGCSE English Language and Mathematics. GCSE/iGCSE English Literature will not be accepted in lieu of GCSE/iGCSE English Language. You need to check the entry requirements. They may want grade 6 in Maths and science but this will show on the entry requirements
Foxfeet
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
It doesnt look like you need a higher gradeApplicants must demonstrate a broad general education including acceptable levels of Literacy and Numeracy, equivalent to at least Grade 4 or C in GCSE/iGCSE English Language and Mathematics. GCSE/iGCSE English Literature will not be accepted in lieu of GCSE/iGCSE English Language. You need to check the entry requirements. They may want grade 6 in Maths and science but this will show on the entry requirements
Thanks it says I need a grade C/4 in maths and English (I have a 4 in maths but may resit not sure and a 9 in English) it doesn’t mention science, does that mean it doesn’t matter?
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks it says I need a grade C/4 in maths and English (I have a 4 in maths but may resit not sure and a 9 in English) it doesn’t mention science, does that mean it doesn’t matter?
If it wanted science it would have said so. You can check directly with the university if you wish. Why does it have to be Manchester. There are loads of universities who dont require 2 sciences and some who do often accept things like Psychology as a science. £9250 for a foundation year sounds an awful lot when you could go straight onto the degree elsewhere. Also the foundation year is one of your 4 years student finance. If you start a degree and change your mind you wont get finance like you would if you hadn't taken a foundation year.

Here is an example from Lancaster
2 science subjects from Biology, Chemistry, Computing, Environmental Science, Geography, Geology, Human Biology, Mathematics, Physics or Psychology.

GCSE Mathematics grade B or 5, English Language grade C or 4
Foxfeet
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
If it wanted science it would have said so. You can check directly with the university if you wish. Why does it have to be Manchester. There are loads of universities who dont require 2 sciences and some who do often accept things like Psychology as a science. £9250 for a foundation year sounds an awful lot when you could go straight onto the degree elsewhere. Also the foundation year is one of your 4 years student finance. If you start a degree and change your mind you wont get finance like you would if you hadn't taken a foundation year.

Here is an example from Lancaster
2 science subjects from Biology, Chemistry, Computing, Environmental Science, Geography, Geology, Human Biology, Mathematics, Physics or Psychology.

GCSE Mathematics grade B or 5, English Language grade C or 4
I was looking at Northumbria-they only require biology at a grade B at alevel and maths and English 4 at gcse, no mention of science. Leeds is the same, I did think about taking a gap year and doing and accelerated alevel course for chemistry. If science gcse was important or necessary surely it would be mentioned? Even Cambridge don’t mention anything.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was looking at Northumbria-they only require biology at a grade B at alevel and maths and English 4 at gcse, no mention of science. Leeds is the same, I did think about taking a gap year and doing and accelerated alevel course for chemistry. If science gcse was important or necessary surely it would be mentioned? Even Cambridge don’t mention anything.
If a university wanted a science they would say so but most schools wont let you take a subject at A level unless you get grade a grade B or 6 in it. What other A levels have you taken. Why have you decided to take Biology as your GCSE results suggest you are better at humanities. Most universities accept a wider range for sciences as I have shown with Lancaster. This also applies to the likes of Exeter.

Cardiff for example only want 1 science

AAB-ABB to include Biology or Chemistry. A pass in the practical element of the Science A level is normally required. Please note Critical thinking and General Studies are not accepted.

Swansea do the same

A levels: grades ABB-BBB, to include Biology or Human Biology, or equivalent.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (25)
13.3%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.38%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.79%
I need help with my personal statement (79)
42.02%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (45)
23.94%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.6%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
7.98%

Watched Threads