qwert7890
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I sent in a topic for “is it ethically acceptable for a woman to have an abortion?”

My board did not approve of this topic. They said it’s highly sensitive and controversial, too broad (different countries have different opinions) and you must have strong academic research (but academics are divided on opinion here)

What to do? I still want to keep it abortion-related since I really find the topic interesting. Here is somethings I thought of:

1. At what point in a pregnancy can a fetus feel pain?
2. Till what extent can the abortion of fetus with Down syndrome be considered a murder?
3. Should the current 24-weeks law of abortion in the U.K. be increased/reduced?

I’m going to lose my mind now. I’ve searched at least 50 pages for a potential abortion/fetus related research topic. I’m afraid they might reject my topic again. Can you please suggest something different?
Vapordave
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They probably will reject anything abortion-related for the same reasons they stated. It is a very complex and sensitive topic that's quite difficult to argue for well. Generally I think that #3 would be best in terms of the EPQ itself, but it might still be declined. Have you thought about other subject areas?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by qwert7890)
I sent in a topic for “is it ethically acceptable for a woman to have an abortion?”

My board did not approve of this topic. They said it’s highly sensitive and controversial, too broad (different countries have different opinions) and you must have strong academic research (but academics are divided on opinion here)

What to do? I still want to keep it abortion-related since I really find the topic interesting. Here is somethings I thought of:

1. At what point in a pregnancy can a fetus feel pain?
2. Till what extent can the abortion of fetus with Down syndrome be considered a murder?
3. Should the current 24-weeks law of abortion in the U.K. be increased/reduced?

I’m going to lose my mind now. I’ve searched at least 50 pages for a potential abortion/fetus related research topic. I’m afraid they might reject my topic again. Can you please suggest something different?
You don't say what level this is. A level/EPQ or undergrad?
qwert7890
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
You don't say what level this is. A level/EPQ or undergrad?
Sorry! It’s an EPQ
qwert7890
Rep:
?
(Original post by Daveological)
They probably will reject anything abortion-related for the same reasons they stated. It is a very complex and sensitive topic that's quite difficult to argue for well. Generally I think that #3 would be best in terms of the EPQ itself, but it might still be declined. Have you thought about other subject areas?
I think that’s what I’ll have to resort to now Do you have any ideas in particular? I was looking for something medicine related.
Vapordave
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think that’s what I’ll have to resort to now Do you have any ideas in particular? I was looking for something medicine related.
Stem cell research is an interesting field in which you could (maybe) talk about the ethics of using embryonic stem cells but that might be too risky although less risky that full-on abortion.
You could also talk about monoclonal antibodies and their use in treating cancer.
qwert7890
Rep:
?
(Original post by Daveological)
Stem cell research is an interesting field in which you could (maybe) talk about the ethics of using embryonic stem cells but that might be too risky although less risky that full-on abortion.
You could also talk about monoclonal antibodies and their use in treating cancer.
Mabs and cancer sounds extremely interesting! Do you think I need to make it more particular - ex. The exact type of mab or a specific cancer
Vapordave
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mabs and cancer sounds extremely interesting! Do you think I need to make it more particular - ex. The exact type of mab or a specific cancer
I think it's narrow enough to not have an information overload.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.58%
Uncertainty around my education (35)
10.97%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (37)
11.6%
Lack of purpose or motivation (46)
14.42%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
5.33%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (14)
4.39%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (30)
9.4%
Financial worries (22)
6.9%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (14)
4.39%
Exposure to negative news/social media (19)
5.96%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
1.88%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (34)
10.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (24)
7.52%

Watched Threads