itz_saf03
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I desperately need some examples of a literary and non-literary text to compare for my Alevel English NEA coursework.

My English teacher sent me this task as follows:

We'd like you to start to think seriously about what you would like to focus on for your NEA and come up with an initial proposal, to include:

-A potential literary text

-A potential non-literary text

-An investigation focus

Further to this we need you to write up both your literary and non-literary texts in the Harvard referencing style, as though you were starting to compose your Bibliography.
skittish
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Can you pick any texts?
itz_saf03
Rep:
?
(Original post by skittish)
Can you pick any texts?
Essentially, yes.
but the ones you can't pick are:
Frankenstein – Mary Shelley
Dracula – Bram Stoker
The Lovely Bones – Alice Seabold
Certain collections by John Donne, Robert Browning and Carol Ann Duffy (speak to your teacher if you need to)
Into the Wild – John Krakauer
The Kite Runner – Khaleed Hosseini
Othello – William Shakespeare
All My Sons – Arthur Miller
The Herd – Rory Kinnear
The Suspicions of Mr Whicher OR the Murder at Road Hill House – Kate Summerscale
Ðeggs
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What theme do you want to base your coursework on? I would think finding a non-literary text, I’m assuming a newspaper or magazine or critics article first would be better, and then find a fiction book or play relevant to the theme you want to discuss or enjoy. Perhaps focus on a genre or time period, like WW2 writing, American 19th century fiction, Victorian, Romantic period etc
itz_saf03
Rep:
?
Honestly I'm open to all genres I just need to comparable texts and an investigation focus for now, just so I can submit it in and once I've done that I can think about it indepth further.
Issieperdiz
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A lot of people in my year compared Great Gatsby with A Streetcar Named Desire, which is quite nice because they’re both written in America around the same time and are around similar themes. I did two Caribbean novels both set in Haiti around 1930-60 and were about people’s lives under Trujillo’s dictatorship. I was initially a bit put off by this but it was actually incredibly interesting and I am so glad I did it. The books were called The Farming of Bones by Edwidge Danticat and In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez. If you’re into history I would really recommend them x
itz_saf03
Rep:
?
Is one literary and the other non literary? because that what i need
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.54%
Excited but a bit nervous (128)
45.07%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.68%
I'm really nervous (56)
19.72%

Watched Threads