The Student Room Group

Nursing

Can anyone help me with deciding to go for it or not.
I am 37 and want to start a career in nursing, I have a place on the access to nursing course to start this September.
I’m worried about how hard the course is (access to nursing) AND the university course.
I wasn’t worried at all until researching and found quite a few posts of people failing in the last year of uni 😩
Also I have no idea about university life or even how to get in!
I feel like if I’m going to do this it’s mor or never.
Can anyone give me an idea on just how difficult it is to go from access to completing the whole nursing degree.
Reply 1
Original post by JadeHairRemoval
I am 37 and want to start a career in nursing, I have a place on the access to nursing course to start this September.
I’m worried about how hard the course is (access to nursing) AND the university course.
I wasn’t worried at all until researching and found quite a few posts of people failing in the last year of uni 😩
Can anyone give me an idea on just how difficult it is to go from access to completing the whole nursing degree.

A lot of people who do access courses do really well with the degree. The degree is harder because it's degree level and access course is level 3!) but it is definitely doable, promise. Some of the people in my cohort who got the best marks were people who did access course!! Yes it's difficult but if you're interested enough and put the effort in, you'll be fine.
As for applying to uni, you do this through UCAS. Have a look at university websites, at their pages for nursing courses for details in entry requirements. Go to open days too as they'll be able to give you more info.

It’s great that you’re doing an access course because it gives you a taster of what to expect. I think you’ll be ahead of the game to everyone else. As long as you put the work in and stay on top of it you will not fail. I study radiography but have heard from my nursing friends how rewarding and enjoyable the course is. Get involved as much as you can and you will do grand
Original post by Fermion.
It’s great that you’re doing an access course because it gives you a taster of what to expect. I think you’ll be ahead of the game to everyone else. As long as you put the work in and stay on top of it you will not fail. I study radiography but have heard from my nursing friends how rewarding and enjoyable the course is. Get involved as much as you can and you will do grand

Thank you for your advice 🤍 I think what’s
Worrying me is getting half way through and failing but having all of the debt.
Going to think about it and see what happens after the lockdown
Original post by Emily_B
A lot of people who do access courses do really well with the degree. The degree is harder because it's degree level and access course is level 3!) but it is definitely doable, promise. Some of the people in my cohort who got the best marks were people who did access course!! Yes it's difficult but if you're interested enough and put the effort in, you'll be fine.
As for applying to uni, you do this through UCAS. Have a look at university websites, at their pages for nursing courses for details in entry requirements. Go to open days too as they'll be able to give you more info.

That’s good to know thank you!
It’s just the failing part that worries me but I suppose you don’t know if you don’t try do you.
How are you getting on with it all?
Reply 5
That’s good to know thank you!
It’s just the failing part that worries me but I suppose you don’t know if you don’t try do you.
How are you getting on with it all?

Qualified last September. Got a 2:1 with some stress, tears and a lot of giggles with course mates. Only failed 1 assignment, where talking to a tutor about it I only needed to make minor changes and it went from a fail to a 2:1. Lesson being... talk to tutors when unsure of stuff, do drafts if assignments, ask librarians for help with stuff like referencing and finding literature. As for placements, it's getting involved, watching and learning :smile:
Original post by Emily_B
Qualified last September. Got a 2:1 with some stress, tears and a lot of giggles with course mates. Only failed 1 assignment, where talking to a tutor about it I only needed to make minor changes and it went from a fail to a 2:1. Lesson being... talk to tutors when unsure of stuff, do drafts if assignments, ask librarians for help with stuff like referencing and finding literature. As for placements, it's getting involved, watching and learning :smile:

That’s amazing well done!!
I wouldn’t be afraid to ask for help, I am looking on here and gaining lots of knowledge on things so weighing up the options.
I wonder if I should go for the access course and see how I feel afterwards x
Reply 7
That’s amazing well done!!
I wouldn’t be afraid to ask for help, I am looking on here and gaining lots of knowledge on things so weighing up the options.
I wonder if I should go for the access course and see how I feel afterwards x

Do it. Don't leave yourself wondering what if x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending