Is it true u cant play online games at york???

Watch
richunited
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
just wondering because my friend told me that york doesnt allow you. is this true?? why wouldnt they let u???
just bought a new laptop too lol.
jokesbre
Report 11 years ago
depends wat games, i played FM over a lan last yr. i know friends of mine who played WOW and CS online last yr, no probs
slugonamission
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
In the olden days, the internet used to be very heavily locked down, but got opened up a lot after week 1 of last year . Fragsoc also found neat ways around it
Hellcom
Report 11 years ago
Well no matter how "strict" their network policies it doesn't take much to circumvent them, so don't worry too much. I just hope that they have sane policies so I don't have to go through the trouble. I tried to ask a couple of students at an open house what the policies were like, such as resitrcitions to certain protocols or ports, but unfortunately none of them seemed savy enough to know what I meant. Where are the comp sci students when you need them?!?!
slugonamission
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Actually, it is. Tunneling UDP is tricky, and you're sometimes not allowed to use VPNs.
Hellcom
Report 11 years ago
Can't you tunnel udp over a ssh connection? Also, couldn't you just set up a https proxy to get past any protocol restrictions?
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
AFAIK the ports open to the outside world are FTP 21, SSH 22, HTTP 80, POP3 110, and IMAP 143. There's no compserv-implemented firewalls on the internal network, but due to the structure you might have to navigate with some care. For most online games you can tunnel via SSH to get through the external firewall (plus encrypt the traffic), but getting UDP through is a bit of a mission.

There are a couple of other ports that you can get through which CompServ don't have documented, for instance cPanel 2082. Good luck finding these. :p: If you have a username/password sorted already you can log into the VPN and try your luck with whatever your indulgence might be.
slugonamission
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Dez - it has been completely opened now . Also, yeah, tunneling UDP over SSH is much harder. You can tunnel HTTP traffic fine, but there are no content filters, so I don't see why you would want to do that. Finally, rooms are not externally visible or cross visible, so you can't connect from outside or connect between rooms without setting up a remote tunnel via one of the accessible SSH servers.
tis_me_lord
Badges: 14
Report 11 years ago
I coudn't play world of warcraft at first. Then like 2 weeks in someone on my floor was like "hey I just tried WoW and it randomly worked" so I went and tried - and from there on in, it always worked!
laser
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The reason it didn't work at first was due to technical reasons more than anything else They changed the way the SNS works (so it's no longer a NAT network with a web proxy) so it now allows a lot more.
Hellcom
Report 11 years ago
Well its good to know they have relaxed the network policies. Also, I'm guessing p2p is out the question even when its legal (eg: linux distros)?
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well that's strange. I was on eduroam just a few weeks ago and couldn't get WoW to work without a tunnel, and compserv's restructuring put all the sockets in halls in the same boat as the NAS, or so I thought...
laser
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No, I think they're still separate, just the authentication is the same as Eduroam. On Eduroam you still need the proxy, I think?
richunited
so to confirm u can now play online games??
laser
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It depends on the game.
slugonamission
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
In general, yes, you can. I don't know if they have locked eduroam down a bit, but it used to work for some games. Also, no, P2P is not allowed.
richunited
well i was going to get the new pro evo so i was hoping that it would work online. probs cs too.
Balth
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by slugonamission)
Also, no, P2P is not allowed.
So, what would happen if you were caught downloading (torrent), say, a new album or the latest episode of Lost?
slugonamission
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Internet connection disallowed until you explain yourself I assume. Also, don't try encrypting it, anyone monitoring the connection will pick it up immediately :p:
Balth
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by slugonamission)
Internet connection disallowed until you explain yourself I assume. Also, don't try encrypting it, anyone monitoring the connection will pick it up immediately :p:
Damn!

No worries though. I've already started hoarding, gonna bring with me a 500gb external harddrive filled to the brim with pirated delight. I finished downloading six seasons of Family Guy last week, and am currently downloading all Monty Python's Flying Circus episodes. :cool:

EDIT: How would they know I was downloading a new album, btw? I mean, do they have 100 people employed 24/7 monitoring all network traffic? I think I might go insane without some new, fresh music once in a while, so can you get away with it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (344)
34.71%
No (647)
65.29%

Watched Threads