The Student Room Group

Georgia lynching: it took officials 2 months to arrest Ahmaud Arbery's murderers

...only after public outcry. The crime: jogging while black.

https://reason.com/2020/05/08/it-took-georgia-officials-2-months-to-arrest-and-charge-father-and-son-with-ahmaud-arberys-murder/

In February, two white men shot and killed Ahmaud Arbery, a black 25-year-old.

The Brunswick News reports that two people called 911 after seeing Arbery in their Brunswick, Georgia, neighborhood on February 23. One caller told the emergency dispatcher that Arbery was seen near a construction site and was running down the street. The second caller reported Arbery running down the street. Neither caller detailed a crime occurring, even when prompted by the dispatcher.

On the day of his death, the McMichaels chased Arbery in their truck with guns after seeing him run through the neighborhood. They told police that they believed he was the burglar. After the McMichaels took off after Arbery, they stopped their truck in the middle of the road, likely in an attempt to cut him off. Arbery struggled with one of the armed McMichaels while the other shot at him from the back of the pickup truck. Arbery then tried to run away but collapsed in the middle of the road.

It took two months for officials to bring charges against the McMichaels.

The Brunswick News reports that there were several conflicts of interest, seeing as the elder McMichael was a Glynn County police officer for seven years, followed by a 20-year career as an investigator for the Brunswick District Attorney's (D.A.) Office. Brunswick D.A. Jackie Johnson recused herself and the case was assigned to Ware County D.A. George E. Barnhill. Barnhill also had to recuse himself after it was discovered that his son, George F. Barnhill, worked for the Brunswick D.A.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The land of law and order where justice reigns supreme, indeed.
why are some calling it a lynching when he was shot?
Original post by Leviathan1611
why are some calling it a lynching when he was shot?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynching
Original post by Ascend
...only after public outcry. The crime: jogging while black.

https://reason.com/2020/05/08/it-took-georgia-officials-2-months-to-arrest-and-charge-father-and-son-with-ahmaud-arberys-murder/

In February, two white men shot and killed Ahmaud Arbery, a black 25-year-old.

The US has a lot of issues with race, power and privilege.

Yes, the act was appalling, but what was depressing was the reaction. For weeks, the police and other state officials did nothing at all. They suddenly pretended they cared when the public and media exposed them.

It is difficult to debate when you see horrible nonsense like this to the extent of actual and toxic racism.
To be fair I can see why it's taken so long (to some extent) with the conflicts of interest and all. If only police officers were less likely to be racist.
Original post by Theloniouss
To be fair I can see why it's taken so long (to some extent) with the conflicts of interest and all. If only police officers were less likely to be racist.

I don't it took so long on purpose. Apparently there was no investigation whatsoever at first and the State Prosecutor said there was no case. It took the man’s family to raise the alarm and campaign that the media caught it and then it went to the Governor’s office. Obviously, the Governor wont want this mess on his plate, so he quickly opened it up.
Reply 8
Those two *******s deserve capital punishment. See the problem with America is that they have these ignorant people who are incredibly racist who think that killing minorities or abusing them is going to help their pathetic cause in reviving facism or white supremacy of some kind. They shoot up synagouges and churches by doing so. American governments aren't doing enough to stop them and they should send a message to these clowns by killing these two horrible human beings through capital punishment of some kind. Hang them or lethally inject them so those idiots get the message.

However, straight away ultra-leftists have jumped on the "All white people are racist" bandwagon yet again and I'm seeing more and more of it on instagram stories. People are even spreading more racist **** such as "White people are priviliged" or "Whites don't know" type of nonsense. Do these idiots not understand that what they say is also racist? the people who protested justice for the victim said nothing about "whites being privileged" or any other nonsense like that, they demanded justice for the victim and his family. It seems that ultra-leftists will take a horrible murder like this and try to profit off of it. It's ****ing disgusting.

But then again, like @Napp said at the top, America is one corrupt place and it will continue to be so. This is going to repeat itself in the future eventually
Reply 9
The more interesting thing i find now is that having believed their weak defence and dropped it in lieu of public agitating. This has now become a political case and one motivated by mob - now what happened to this man (from present evidence) is traggic and he should deserve to get justice. However, i am unnverved by the fact this case is now politically motivates and being pushed for by agitators. Something that not only effects the soundness of the arrest and trial but represents a very slippery slope for future instances of mob justice.
Original post by DR.DOOM
Those two *******s deserve capital punishment. See the problem with America is that they have these ignorant people who are incredibly racist who think that killing minorities or abusing them is going to help their pathetic cause in reviving facism or white supremacy of some kind. They shoot up synagouges and churches by doing so. American governments aren't doing enough to stop them and they should send a message to these clowns by killing these two horrible human beings through capital punishment of some kind. Hang them or lethally inject them so those idiots get the message.

However, straight away ultra-leftists have jumped on the "All white people are racist" bandwagon yet again and I'm seeing more and more of it on instagram stories. People are even spreading more racist **** such as "White people are priviliged" or "Whites don't know" type of nonsense. Do these idiots not understand that what they say is also racist? the people who protested justice for the victim said nothing about "whites being privileged" or any other nonsense like that, they demanded justice for the victim and his family. It seems that ultra-leftists will take a horrible murder like this and try to profit off of it. It's ****ing disgusting.

But then again, like @Napp said at the top, America is one corrupt place and it will continue to be so. This is going to repeat itself in the future eventually

Hopefully you feel the same about the white sixteen boy in Texas who was walking home in the evening and shoot died by a middle class black man. Because the man through he was a criminal.

The man go away with murdering a teenage because he claimed self defence. The case was eight year ago.
I still can’t believe these things are happening even in 2020. 😔
it happen to innocent white teenage who happen to be walking home through a rich middle class black area in Texas eight years ago. A black man who shoot him dead claimed self defence because he through the boy was a criminal.

The man got away with killing a teenager.
You can't stop racism while still being racist yourself. While black people do have it hard in America, it doesn't mean innocents should be ashamed for things out of their control. I'm Jewish and the holocaust massacared many of my peoples but I'm not going around saying "Whites and blacks don't know" or "black and white privileged" or "Dear white people and black people"

Anything you say nowadays, you have to say with caution because of people like that who chat all that nonsense about white privelege. A white person tries to defend themselves and they're called racist. Then again most of these problems are in America and in the UK there is less racism and discrimination here
Agreed, terms like white privilege aren’t racist, merely ignorant and shallow
Reply 15
An argument could be made that this particular part of such statements is eo ipso 'racist'. After all, whether thats true or not is more than slightly dubious though
Reply 16
I bid you welcome to the 21st century :wink:
But, as i said, i don't believe the particular argument has any merit merely that it can be made - and unfortunately is by some of the more cretinous sorts.
How so?
Do you have any evidence of this?
The story behind Mississippi burning comes to mind.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murders_of_Chaney,_Goodman,_and_Schwerner

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending