Cis , trans E or Z?? Tricky question😭

Watch
Sidd1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I can't figure out whether this structure is E or Z cis or trans. Looking at the structure & the textbook to help me better it seems like its neither but it has to be either one since this is a multiple choice question.

Name:  15890173056048336196052387458359.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  174.7 KB

Thank you!!!
Last edited by Sidd1; 1 year ago
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You should approach this methodically.

1st: check whether EZ is possible: is there a double bond and does each C attached to the double bond have two different groups attached. Check.
2nd: check whether cis/trans is possible: is there one (or both) group on the left C that is common to the right C. Nope. No cis/trans.
3rd: identify priority groups. Find the first point of difference on atomic numbers*.
LHS first: The C with the double bond is attached to 2x C atoms with the same atomic numbers, so we look to see what they're attached to: top = HHH i.e. atomic numbers 1,1,1 bottom = CHH i.e. 12,1,1 comparing the first number 12>1 (we have a winner, stop looking) so the bottom group wins.
RHS: The C with the double bond is attached to 2xC, so next step: top = CCH, i.e. 12,12,1 bottom = CHH, i.e. 12,1,1 comparing 12=12 (carry on) 12>1 (stop) top wins
4th: priority groups are on opposite sides E.

*if you get to the end of the checks and there is still no winner, you consider masses of isotopes or e.g. H vs D.
Sidd1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Pigster)
You should approach this methodically.

1st: check whether EZ is possible: is there a double bond and does each C attached to the double bond have two different groups attached. Check.
2nd: check whether cis/trans is possible: is there one (or both) group on the left C that is common to the right C. Nope. No cis/trans.
3rd: identify priority groups. Find the first point of difference on atomic numbers*.
LHS first: The C with the double bond is attached to 2x C atoms with the same atomic numbers, so we look to see what they're attached to: top = HHH i.e. atomic numbers 1,1,1 bottom = CHH i.e. 12,1,1 comparing the first number 12>1 (we have a winner, stop looking) so the bottom group wins.
RHS: The C with the double bond is attached to 2xC, so next step: top = CCH, i.e. 12,12,1 bottom = CHH, i.e. 12,1,1 comparing 12=12 (carry on) 12>1 (stop) top wins
4th: priority groups are on opposite sides E.

*if you get to the end of the checks and there is still no winner, you consider masses of isotopes or e.g. H vs D.
Thank you so much! What do you mean by "masses of isotopes eg H vs D ?"
Also, the top carbon on the RHS is actually CH(CH3)2 - not CCH. Sorry if that wasn't clear from my diagram!
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sidd1)
Thank you so much! What do you mean by "masses of isotopes eg H vs D ?"
Also, the top carbon on the RHS is actually CH(CH3)2 - not CCH. Sorry if that wasn't clear from my diagram!
Imagine ethene, except swapping an H on both sides with D (deuterium, i.e. H-2). If you just consider atomic numbers, then both sides you have 1=1 and it looks like there is no priority. So, now you consider atomic masses and you get 2>1 on both sides.

The top C on the RHS is attached to H and to 2x CH3. The three atoms that that C is attached to are CCH.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (201)
43.79%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (51)
11.11%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.63%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (98)
21.35%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (47)
10.24%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise