The Student Room Group

Can I do Engineering Degrees?

I’m in a bit of a problem, I wanted to do Medicine at first but did research and wasn’t that interested and mostly due to pressure that I wanted to do it. My backup choice was Engineering but I didn’t pick Physics or Maths as A-levels. I’m in year 12 and I’ve picked Biology, Chemistry and French A-levels. I’m quite good at Maths and Physics but since I didn’t pick it, I don’t know what to do. Advice?
Reply 1
You'll almost always need A level maths. Is there a way you could take this in a year after your other A levels?
Original post by ngmnta
I’m in a bit of a problem, I wanted to do Medicine at first but did research and wasn’t that interested and mostly due to pressure that I wanted to do it. My backup choice was Engineering but I didn’t pick Physics or Maths as A-levels. I’m in year 12 and I’ve picked Biology, Chemistry and French A-levels. I’m quite good at Maths and Physics but since I didn’t pick it, I don’t know what to do. Advice?

The main options if you want to do an engineering degree would be either doing a foundation year first, or taking A-levels in maths and physics.

If you are open to the idea of doing a degree-apprenticeship that may also be an option with your current qualifications, but you'll have to check.
Final year engineer here.
Most degrees will require physics and maths, some don’t require physics (I do chemical engineering and needed to have a maths A level and then chemistry or physics).

You’d have to look at specific course requirements but I’m not sure if you’d find one where maths isn’t a requirement. But you can apply for a foundation year where you will learn all the prerequisite maths, physics and anything else you need to do the course. It will take an extra year but honestly I’m not sure you will fond an engineering course that doesn’t require maths A-level.
Reply 4
@Moments did a civil engineering degree without A levels maths (I think at UCL) - but he is pretty exceptional.
Original post by Lkathryn08
Final year engineer here.
Most degrees will require physics and maths, some don’t require physics (I do chemical engineering and needed to have a maths A level and then chemistry or physics).

You’d have to look at specific course requirements but I’m not sure if you’d find one where maths isn’t a requirement. But you can apply for a foundation year where you will learn all the prerequisite maths, physics and anything else you need to do the course. It will take an extra year but honestly I’m not sure you will fond an engineering course that doesn’t require maths A-level.

I’m planning on doing Uni abroad so I have no idea if there is a foundation year. And if not, any ideas on careers with the options I picked?
Original post by ngmnta
I’m planning on doing Uni abroad so I have no idea if there is a foundation year. And if not, any ideas on careers with the options I picked?

Sorry I really don’t know about unis and requirements outside the uk.

Obviously there’s all sorts you can apply for with those a-levels, it more has to be a case of what you want to study and what you want to do. Also specific degrees don’t necessarily lead to certain careers, obviously engineering degrees can lead into engineering careers but it doesn’t have to be the case. What do you want to do? The list of potential careers is essentially endless.
There are many engineering foundation years around the country that don’t need A level maths but obviously it is an additional year of your life plus full tuition fees.
Reply 8
Will it be a struggle to keep up in a foundation year in engineering from GCSE maths and physics? I also picked the wrong a levels - biology chemistry and art thinking I would want to work in healthcare but am changing my mind.
Maths is usually required at A Level along with Physics sometimes (depending on the branch of engineering which you are interested in). Your options would be to either:
- Study an Engineering degree with an integrated foundation year.
- Resit Year 12 with Maths and possibly Physics.
- Take a gap year and sit the A Level Maths/Physics examinations privately to apply for the following year.

Quick Reply

Latest