Considering going into law as a science graduate

Watch this thread
Bumbletumble
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Graduated last year from a top Russell group university with a 1st. Having failed to get a graduate job for this year I am considering a move into law. I understand training contracts are very hard to secure. Without any legal experience or a vac scheme on my CV, how likely am I in securing one for september 2020?

I understand as a non law graduate you need to do your GDL then LPC, do I need to find a place to do the GDL before applying for training contracts, or do you receive your training contract first (if you get one) then work on finding a place for the GDL?
The University of Law Students
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Bumbletumble)
Graduated last year from a top Russell group university with a 1st. Having failed to get a graduate job for this year I am considering a move into law. I understand training contracts are very hard to secure. Without any legal experience or a vac scheme on my CV, how likely am I in securing one for september 2020?

I understand as a non law graduate you need to do your GDL then LPC, do I need to find a place to do the GDL before applying for training contracts, or do you receive your training contract first (if you get one) then work on finding a place for the GDL?
Hey,

In terms of obtaining a training contract for 2020 it is highly unlikely. Most training contracts are two years in advance so applying for them this year will mostly start in 2022 and do require understanding of the law and relevant work experience. It is also hard to receive funding for the GDL through a training contract as most training contracts only provide funding for the LPC.

If I were you I would apply first for the GDL and try to obtain work experience in as many firms as possible (I know this is hard during these uncertain times). Good ways to bolster your CV when applying for training contracts is through voluntary work such as legal advice clinics (pro bono work) and independent charities who provide advice - this will help show that you are eager for a career in law.

If you do get a training contract then you must first complete your GDL and then your LPC and then you will start your training contract within a firm, which is 2 years of training to become a qualified solicitor.

I hope this helps!

Emily
(Student Ambassador, LPC, Liverpool)
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Completely agree with the other 2 posters - having a 1st from a top RG uni will in no way be enough for you to get a training contract without any legal work experience. If I were you and assuming you are serious about wanting to be a solicitor, I would think about whether it is possible to self fund the GDL as that will give you access to work experience options and prove that you are serious about law. A law conversion course is available at lots of private providers such as BPP (called the PGDL) and ULaw plus some unis such as City in London, for example, and it doesn't matter where you take it (prestige wise) so it's not like choosing a uni at undergraduate level. I would also see if you can gain any work experience before the course starts (such as at Citizens Advice Bureau) and research into this career a lot to make sure it is really what you want to do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (79)
18.85%
The paper was reasonable (157)
37.47%
Not feeling great about that exam... (117)
27.92%
It was TERRIBLE (66)
15.75%

Watched Threads