_oliverlau
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I'm deciding which universities I want to firm for mechanical engineering. I'm currently deciding between Nottingham and Loughborough as my firm. I'm aware that Loughborough is not a Russell group uni, but has ranked high pretty consistently in UK league tables. I'm just wondering how important is it to engineering employers that you attend a Russell Group uni? 🤔
stereotypeasian
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
honestly I don't think its important for any course but TSR says otherwise...
ignore the league tables as well its just a number next to the universities name
choose the uni you like more for your firm and you can see yourself being there, you like the course modules more etc.
_oliverlau
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Thanks for the advice 🙂👍
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
More important for postgrad where RG is based on research output

Though RG correlates with ranking and teaching ability so to some extent important but not causal (if that makes sense!)
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by _oliverlau)
Thanks for the advice 🙂👍
RG is totally irrelevant for engineering. My best students are tending to go Bath, Brookes, Loughborough - on courses that have a year in Industry.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Irrelevant for the choice you are making.
Nasir.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
its important and also being white and middle-class. more likely to get a job than without because the majority of employers are unconsciously bias.
Chris2892
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It’s only worth really thinking about if you’d like to pursue research at that university. It’s more important your course is accredited by the IMechE at BEng level. You can change universities for a PhD or MEng anyway.
If I got to choose which uni I went to, I’d of looked at the module content, facilities, and the industry links, trying to match my own interests to a university.

For a BEng, it’s more important your course has sufficient software licenses and up to date equipment. There’s nothing worse than doing chosen projects on student versions of CAD and CFD software
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
As above it doesn't matter for engineering, and Loughborough has good connections to industry.

(Original post by Chris2892)
You can change universities for...MEng anyway.
You can't "change universities" for an MEng. The MEng is an integrated undergraduate masters qualification that lasts 4 years - doing so would be transferring or reapplying to a new uni, the latter of which is very uncommon and the former undesirable. It is possible to do a one year taught masters which meets accreditation requirements (which will normally be an MSc).
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Nasir.)
its important and also being white and middle-class. more likely to get a job than without because the majority of employers are unconsciously bias.
Please don't spread false information. Employers have generally not heard of the Russell Group and even if they recognise the name couldn't tell you which universities are in it or not. Loughborough in general and for engineering in particular has outstanding employment figures.
Chris2892
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
As above it doesn't matter for engineering, and Loughborough has good connections to industry.

You can't "change universities" for an MEng. The MEng is an integrated undergraduate masters qualification that lasts 4 years - doing so would be transferring or reapplying to a new uni, the latter of which is very uncommon and the former undesirable. It is possible to do a one year taught masters which meets accreditation requirements (which will normally be an MSc).
Thanks, didn’t know this.

OP,
If research is what you’d like to pursue, I skipped my masters altogether to start a PhD. However, you would be required to demonstrate research capabilities through publications and/or work experience.
Nasir.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by ajj2000)
Please don't spread false information. Employers have generally not heard of the Russell Group and even if they recognise the name couldn't tell you which universities are in it or not. Loughborough in general and for engineering in particular has outstanding employment figures.
fine ill take that bit back.
V1ct0r
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I'd choose Loughborough any day. Bath, Loughborough and Brookes are the most well known universities in the engineering industry and I've never heard of anyone mentioning Nottingham for engineering specifically outside of TSR (tho a lot of ppl agree that its a very good uni in general).
username3539714
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Russell Group doesn't matter. For example, St Andrews consistently rank 3rd in the completeuniversityguide but aren't part of the Russell Group. Other good universities such as Bath & Lancaster also aren't in it.
University of Bath Postgraduate
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by _oliverlau)
I'm deciding which universities I want to firm for mechanical engineering. I'm currently deciding between Nottingham and Loughborough as my firm. I'm aware that Loughborough is not a Russell group uni, but has ranked high pretty consistently in UK league tables. I'm just wondering how important is it to engineering employers that you attend a Russell Group uni? 🤔
Hi _oliverlau

As someone who has done an undergraduate in Electronic Systems Engineering and is currently doing a postgraduate in Enegineering Business Management, I think I can offer some insight into the industry and employers views towards russel groups.

The short answer is that it really isn't very important to engineering employers. Studying an engineering course at a russel group uni does not make it more desirable that a non russel group and vice versa, I believe the most important aspect is that the course should be IET accreditied (which I believe both your options are), and ideally a year in placement or relevant experience would be more desirable to employers.

The criteria for a Russel Group Uni is slightly complicated and why some top universities and courses are not part of the russel group. I know that Bath for example, offers some of the best and most desirable engineering courses in the country, but is not a Russel Group University due to its lack of subject breadth (it is a very STEM heavy university with few Arts). Bath also has fantastic relationships and opportunities for students in the industry, making it clear that employers generally aren't concerned with russel group clasification.

Hope this helps.

Ollie
MSc Engineering Business Management
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (32)
31.68%
No - I have already returned home (10)
9.9%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (23)
22.77%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (7)
6.93%
No - I live at home during term anyway (29)
28.71%

Watched Threads