Want more information about this university?

Advice for Cyber Security first year student at Portsmouth Uni?

Watch
Blizzxrd
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Is there any cyber security & forensic students from Portsmouth that could pass on advice for new first year students, like myself. For example, study & coursework tips, getting industry placements etc. I would be very grateful!
lnux
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi, I’m a 2019 Computer Science graduate from
Portsmouth. I may not be able to give you advice for Cyber Security specifically but from what I remember, first year is the same across the board, so Computing, Cyber Security, Software Engineering and Computer Science will pretty much have the same modules in first year, so on your second year you can basically transfer from one to any of these courses.

In the first year, you’ll have an introduction to programming module which essentially teaches you how to code using Python, then after Christmas, they’ll transfer over to Java. Personally I think it is the most useful module in my entire 3 years there.

There is Maths module but it is essentially tackling basic sets and operators, nothing to worry about, it’s pretty simple.

There is also a Introduction to Database which teaches you how to create schemas, join tables, create, update and delete records from an SQL database. It’s not difficult, but I would advice you to use some database client like SQLPro if you use a Mac, using a client will speed you up when it comes to creating coursework at the end.

There is also Web Foundations with Jacek and Richard which is basically building websites using HTML and CSS. This is probably the most chill and fun module in the first year.

Pro Tip: Try to enjoy your first year, don’t take it too seriously - by that I mean don’t try so hard of getting first class (though it is pretty easy), but don’t try so hard that you end up getting burned out on the following years because those are the more important years. First year doesn’t count towards your final degree so treat it as marathon, avoid sprinting just yet.
Last edited by lnux; 7 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (58)
17.31%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (94)
28.06%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (128)
38.21%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.28%

Watched Threads