The Student Room Group

Laptop for uni (unlimited budget)

Which Apple laptop is the best for uni? I believe there is the Pro and the Air.
I don't need any specific software for my course, I'd only use it for essays, watching movies and taking on train rides.
No budget? Lucky you :biggrin: The Apple website gives you the option to compare the characteristics of different models, if I were you I’d look that up. Also, do you want a 13 or 16 inch screen? I think that, considering your necessities won’t require much high-tech, I’d base my choice on the screen size and price, also perhaps battery duration. Air has a longer batt, and the only remarkable difference I see with Pro is that the latter has a stronger processor, but for your necessities you aren’t going to notice any difference. It’s your choice at the end lol. Consume sensibly! :smile:
Reply 2
Even though they are the same price I would say that the pro is better than the air. The pro is faster, has a longer battery life and better graphics. The pro also has a Touch Bar which is a cool addition and Touch ID (although the new MacBook Air might Touch ID too I'm not sure). I have the MacBook Pro and love it, its super fast and the battery life lasts all day would highly recommend for uni/school. The only thing I would say is better about the air is that its significantly lighter than the pro (which may be better for carrying around with you if your taking it on the train) hope this helps
Just because you have an unlimited budget doesn't mean that you necessarily have to buy Apple, and I suspect you only want Apple because it's cool to have one. Your "unlimited budget" could be better spent elsewhere if all you need it for is essays and movies, I'd actually suggest a Chromebook. You can get a good quality one for around £200 and spend the £800+ you would have used on the Macbook elsewhere.

Or, if you're absolutely adamant that you need a Macbook, you don't always have to buy brand new from Apple. There are used/refurbished models on eBay from a couple of years ago that will offer you the exact same performance in the tasks you need, and you won't use up more materials that the technology world is running out of. If you're willing to do a bit of research for yourself, there is someone on YouTube called Luke Miani that does loads of videos about Macbooks. He also has a subreddit (r/LukeMiani) that is full of his fans/more people that know about Macbooks that can probably help you better as they are experts on this (or know a lot about it at least). However from what you're describing you need it for I'd still be going for the Chromebook as it will serve all your purpose with no problems. For movies I'd suggest getting one of the models where you can flip back the keyboard into tablet mode. (Luke Miani has a video where he, as a lifetime Mac user, switches to ChromeOS for a week so also have a look at that to see if you really need the Mac.)
Reply 4
Even with an unlimited budget, you shouldn't get a MacBook, they are terrible value for money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending