carl_k
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
For the past while I have always said i'd do a Mechanical engineering course but recently iv come across the mechatronics and robotics course offered at some universities so now i am a bit stuck on what to choose. I quite like working with micro controllers, coding and computer science etc... but i don't want it to be just that as it could get boring after a while. Is the course as diverse as mechanical engineering? i know at the end of the day, either way you're still getting a degree in engineering but are there more job opportunities with mechanical engineering?
trapking
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by carl_k)
For the past while I have always said i'd do a Mechanical engineering course but recently iv come across the mechatronics and robotics course offered at some universities so now i am a bit stuck on what to choose. I quite like working with micro controllers, coding and computer science etc... but i don't want it to be just that as it could get boring after a while. Is the course as diverse as mechanical engineering? i know at the end of the day, either way you're still getting a degree in engineering but are there more job opportunities with mechanical engineering?
Mechatronics is essentially Mechanical Engineering and Electronic Engineering mixed together.

Most things nowadays are moving towards automation so Mechatronics is a good choice! Another option could be to do BEng Mech Eng then MSc in Mechatronics but tbh since you already say you like the computer stuff etc. Then just go for Mechatronics.
carl_k
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by trapking)
Mechatronics is essentially Mechanical Engineering and Electronic Engineering mixed together.

Most things nowadays are moving towards automation so Mechatronics is a good choice! Another option could be to do BEng Mech Eng then MSc in Mechatronics but tbh since you already say you like the computer stuff etc. Then just go for Mechatronics.
Cheers thanks for the help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (889)
42.72%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.89%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads