The Student Room Group

Is this discriminatory or racist or even a big deal?

Okay so I’m a black female and I was having a conversation with this white guy. He’s brunette with blue eyes.

He asked me what was my type and I told him I didn’t have a type since personality trumps all. He pushes it by saying, “come on, everyone has a type” so I asked what was his.

He responded that any girl with a big bum and curvy waist was his type. So I said fair enough. I told him that I’m very attracted to gingers. If they’ve got some kind of green in their eyes, it’s a plus. Bare in mind that I said this is what I’m VERY attracted to not saying I’d only be attracted to gingers.

So he said, but that’s discrimination. Confused I said but how when you’ve listed what you’re attracted to as well. He said because a girl can make their butt bigger by choice but a guy can’t just become a ginger by choice and gingers exclude black guys.

I told him that I have a different type for black men because obviously most black men vs white men have different features unique to their race. He then says that’s racist. I’m confused.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just to overemphasise that I am not the type of person that lets physical appearances rule who I date but if it was a situation of what would catch my eye as soon as I walk into a room, it would be a ginger guy
Ignore him, he's probably jealous that you didn't say him... he was probably trying to get into your knickers (do you have a big bum? lol).

And for the record, I'm black and my cousin is mixed race and ginger (don't ever call her that though lol)

Even if it were racist, you're still far better than some others, as at least you have some criteria for others (albeit a different one)... still better than ruling people out completely IMHO.
Your preferences for appearance are just that, preferences. It doesn't mean you have an inherent lack of appreciation for a group of people.

By virtue of having preferences, there are going to be appearances you find less preferable than others, that is literally the point. The person you were discussing this with clearly had a flawed understanding of this.
Maybe you are reading into it too much?
Reply 5
Original post by Old Skool Freak
Ignore him, he's probably jealous that you didn't say him... he was probably trying to get into your knickers (do you have a big bum? lol).

And for the record, I'm black and my cousin is mixed race and ginger (don't ever call her that though lol)

Even if it were racist, you're still far better than some others, as at least you have some criteria for others (albeit a different one)... still better than ruling people out completely IMHO.

Do people hate being called ginger ? Is that racist ? And yeah I figured he probably felt a way about me saying that but like he pushed me to say that. I’ve never dated a ginger guy. I just think they’re hot. But all in all, personality trumps all.
What an idiot lol, just butthurt

Maybe "redheaded" would've been nicer than "ginger" but idk, I've got red hair myself and I wouldn't call you discriminatory for it :colonhash:
Reply 7
Original post by Archetypally
Your preferences for appearance are just that, preferences. It doesn't mean you have an inherent lack of appreciation for a group of people.

By virtue of having preferences, there are going to be appearances you find less preferable than others, that is literally the point. The person you were discussing this with clearly had a flawed understanding of this.

That’s the perfect explanation. Less vs more preferable or attracted to.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Maybe you are reading into it too much?

Tbh, I probably am but he said I was being kind of racist or discriminating and I always aim to be neither so I wanted to be corrected so I don’t offend someone unintentionally.
That’s your preference just tell him to be quiet
Original post by Lilli22
What an idiot lol, just butthurt

Maybe "redheaded" would've been nicer than "ginger" but idk, I've got red hair myself and I wouldn't call you discriminatory for it :colonhash:

Thank you and I’ll use red head instead. I’ve never associated the two terms. Don’t know why I thought it was two different things. Would you get offended if someone called you a ginger then ?
Do people hate being called ginger ? Is that racist ?

It's not racist per se, but it is considered to be a derogatory term. Lots of red-heads I know have objected to being called ginger... preferring to be called Auburn. According to the video below, ginger also refers to that whole look, so included very pale skin and lots of freckles

https://www.southparkstudios.co.uk/clips/155070/ginger-pride

And yeah I figured he probably felt a way about me saying that but like he pushed me to say that.

Agreed, I wouldn't take any notice of what he said. I doubt he would have had any problems if you said your type was dark hair and blue eyes.

I’ve never dated a ginger guy. I just think they’re hot. But all in all, personality trumps all.

So who did it for you... Was it Ed Shearan or Prince Harry? Or did you prefer a more mature Daniel Craig LMAO
He’s one of those guys who like to wind people up
No- not racist or a big deal.
Sexual preferences are based on attraction and compatibility.
Often this involves a physical type with a specific look, shared values and sexual compatibility.
Those who don't tick the deal-breaker boxes are either friendzoned or ignored.
A gay man's preference for only dating gay men will rule out all women and bisexual guys- that is the sex life that wants to have.

Life is all about choices inherently based upon discriminating between all the different options.
Friends, housemates, uni choices, employers, ons, dates, clothes, music, hairstyles, makeup, movies, favourite celebrities.
Discrimination is only viewed negatively when it involves illegality, unjust actions that cause harm to others, hate, malice or dishonesty.
Making the choice about who you want to have consensual sex with, live with or get married to is fine.
Reply 14
honestly he sounds like a complete idiot. just ignore him. there was nothing discriminatory about what you said.
Thank you and I’ll use red head instead. I’ve never associated the two terms. Don’t know why I thought it was two different things. Would you get offended if someone called you a ginger then ?

Maybe I would feel the slightest bit irked since kids usually make fun of "gingers", but as an adult I don't think it's anything to really get offended by.
So who did it for you... Was it Ed Shearan or Prince Harry? Or did you prefer a more mature Daniel Craig LMAO

wait, Daniel Craig's ginger??
But guys can become ginger by choice, they can dye their hair.

Tbh the description you mentioned is what my idea of ginger is. The red head combination with freckles etc is so hot to me. But I will definitely use red head going forward. Would never want someone to feel less than when I actually think they’re hot.

And LOOK RIGHTT, IT WAS RON FROM HARRY POTTER 😂😂 but Ed Sheehan became another one later on after watching his interviews. I fell in love couldn’t help it Lol
It’s easier to dye your hair than make your butt bigger. Was he disappointed that you didn’t mention brown hair?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending