im.millie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi, I’m a British student hoping to apply to an American college next year and today I did an official practice SAT paper and scored 1180. I’ve never looked at a sample paper let alone studied for one before so I was wondering how good/bad my score was? I ask this as someone who literally has no idea about the importance(?) of SAT scores in America and until a few days ago had only heard about them when mentioned in movies.

If it’s important, the little sections, I got 700 in reading, writing and language combined and then 480 on math combined. I’m honestly surprised at how different the math syllabus I learnt is different from the SAT one or the SAT questions at least. I’m taking IB and I’m predicted (766 HL & A,A) if that changes anything?

But, to conclude, is 1180 a good SAT score? I tried reading documents online but I just confused myself 😅

Thanks for any help!!
SweetSummerx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
https://blog.prepscholar.com/what-is...lent-sat-score

Have a look on this website. Looks like 700 is very good but your 480 could use some work.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by im.millie)
But, to conclude, is 1180 a good SAT score? I tried reading documents online but I just confused myself 😅
That depends on what you consider good. Your maths score is very low, so you should be able to improve that dramatically. For reference, Oxford requires a score of at least 1470.

See here for the 2019 percentiles. 1180 puts you in the 67-74th percentile range, so 26% - 33% of test takers will score higher than you.
im.millie
Rep:
?
(Original post by SweetSummerx)
https://blog.prepscholar.com/what-is...lent-sat-score

Have a look on this website. Looks like 700 is very good but your 480 could use some work.
Thank you so much this was very helpful!
im.millie
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
That depends on what you consider good. Your maths score is very low, so you should be able to improve that dramatically. For reference, Oxford requires a score of at least 1470.

See here for the 2019 percentiles. 1180 puts you in the 67-74th percentile range, so 26% - 33% of test takers will score higher than you.
Thank you so much! I thought that about my maths at the time but just wondered about other people’s opinions were who had a lot more knowledge! Thanks again for the link and your comment it’s really helpful!!
pet973
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by im.millie)
Thank you so much! I thought that about my maths at the time but just wondered about other people’s opinions were who had a lot more knowledge! Thanks again for the link and your comment it’s really helpful!!
There are already many Universities/Liberal art Colleges that don't require SAT, and because of Cvid, many more will be test optional next year. A quick google search will help. Your IB HL scores are so much better than a 1180 SAT, it can only hurt so avoid it if u can. Also, see below for more general info I've posted on other threads.

Hiya - I was recently accepted with large need-based/merit scholarships to 3 different US unis, and my stats were good but not awesome. My quick-starting advice would be:

1- use "college confidential" - the us version of TSR (there's plenty of threads for international applicants/students, and if u start your own, posters are very helpful to anyone who's polite, responsive and interested. (just google "international students college confidential", that will get u started). Prepare to invest a lot of time.
2- don't look at ivy league only (1 or 2 of those will be enough) - there's plenty of Universities (Private, not state ones like UCLA) and Liberal Arts Colleges that give large merit or need-based scholarships.
3- it's a bit of a lottery, so have a back-up plan. (it's about 10-20 times harder to get into Harvard/Yale/MIT/Princeton etc, than Oxbridge for an international... but there's lots of very good Colleges that can be generous).
4-DO NOT limit yourself to need-blind schools. Most are need-aware, but that just means they will take your financial need into consideration when applying. The (very few, 6-7, need-blind ones are almost impossible to get in, and you don't need to. Need-aware schools are just as generous if they accept you.
5- To get an idea of great schools that are less well known here, google "us news top LACs" - any in the top 50 are as good as any Uni in the UK (Oxbridge aside) and much more fun. That will give you a start (though the top 10 are insanely competitive as well).
6- Get some community service/extracurricular activities sorted. They know perfectly well about DoE, it's okay but nothing special for them. They want to see initiative/willpower.
7- Grades and SAT/ACT get you into consideration, then the fun starts. Your essays (lots of them, at least 1 or 2 per school on top of the Common App one, are very important, as are recommendation letters. (start talking to a copuple of your teachers about those).
8- Start working on SAT or ACT practice (ACT is easier but you need to be quite a bit faster, that's the main tradeoff between the 2.
9- Prepare to apply to about 10-12 schools. Midwest/southern ones are a little less competitive.
10- AGAIN - use College Confidential. It really helps.
11- It's definetely doable. But don't waste too much time/effort on Ivyes/Stanford etc - you're not really competitive for them as far as I can tell. But you'll be fine for a bunch of others.
12- It's a lot of work, but I can be done!! I'll be going to a very, very good school in Boston for less money than a UK uni.

PS - for a quick look at schools, with reviews, admission stats and so on, use the Niche website (go to the colleges tabs) and just type in a name.
Good luck!
lkalm
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi there! I'm from the US and just went through the whole application process this year, so I can offer some advice. Firstly, it definitely depends on the school(s) you're applying to. The average SAT score you'll need for an Ivy/very selective school is likely going to be a lot higher than what you'll need for some less-selective schools, so I would definitely recommend researching the average SATs for each school you're looking to apply to.

Secondly, the SAT sections are pretty important, so you're going to want to make sure you have good scores for both the reading/writing section and the math section. Your reading section is looking pretty good right now, but your math section could definitely use some work (though again, it really does depend on the school(s) you're applying to. With your current score, you'd have a pretty good shot at getting into a school like Pace University in New York, but a school like American University in Washington, DC may be more difficult to get into).

Third, it is important to note that there a lot of other things that universities in the US consider for admissions. SAT scores and grades are definitely some of the more important factors, but US schools put a lot of emphasis on other things like extracurricular activities, demonstrated interest, and admissions essays. Basically, the kinds of things that help them understand who you are as a person so they can have a more fleshed-out understanding of your entire character as opposed to only considering your scores.

Lastly, there are loads of different SAT prep resources online that can definitely help you with improving your score. I would definitely recommend PrepScholar and Khan Academy as some good free online services, and there are SAT prep books you can buy as well if that's something you'd want to look into.

If you have some sort of idea of the schools that you're looking to apply to and are willing to share, I can definitely provide some more specialized advice, and if you're still in the beginning stages of figuring out the schools you'd like to apply to I'd be more than happy to suggest schools if that is something you're interested in.

Wishing you the best of luck throughout your testing/application process! It can be difficult at times but it's worth it in the end
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (55)
36.18%
No (80)
52.63%
I don't know (17)
11.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed