Abstract and Introduction, the difference

Watch
indybrookes
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Should I put citations in my abstract and introduction? What’s the main differences. I don’t really understand

Racresmol
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Abstract: short summary of the whole paper (what it's about, what they did and what was found). No references.
Intro: background information, putting the research in context by giving an overview of the previous work on the topic and what questions will be addressed later. Has references.
indybrookes
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Thank you !
Arctic Kitten
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Well basically abstract have 'hint' of the conclusion, intro don't.
Say, if you do an experiment on how high can you jump, your abstract is 'The paper look at jumping height. samples are taken and the median is 10 m'. Your intro is 'jumping height are a fascinating subject. through various method, we examine the height an average student can jump'
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (593)
34.1%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.54%

Watched Threads