The Student Room Group

Uni applications and extra curriculars

Do unis consider extra curriculars (sports, social service, crowd funding etc) while reviewing applications and does having them tip the scales in your favour?
Original post by hanustar
Do unis consider extra curriculars (sports, social service, crowd funding etc) while reviewing applications and does having them tip the scales in your favour?

It will almost certainly have very little impact, your academics, subject interest, and ability to thrive in the field of study are far more important.

ECs are nice to have but don't really have much meaningful impact.
Reply 2
Original post by hanustar

It might kinda depend on what kind of course you're looking at but they will make an impact because it shows them what kind of person you are. Don't get me wrong, they're looking for the grades etc but there could be hundreds of students applying with the same grades as you, its the little things like extra curriculars that might potentially set you apart from the crowd.

They aren't essential by any means, and if doing too much imoacts your grade it is 100% not worth it, but they do have the chance to make you stand out. For example, in one of my interviews/auditions i got asked about an extra curricular activity i'd mentioned in my personal statement and it made them remember me because it was something different :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks a lot for your help guys!

Quick Reply

Latest