The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I remember my mate at another school told me about how someone at her school stole a whole jar of sodium and flushed it down the school toilets haha! Classic.
Reply 21
need_money
I remember my mate at another school told me about how someone at her school stole a whole jar of sodium and flushed it down the school toilets haha! Classic.

it would have exploded over her before she even got a chance to pull the lever
technik

exactly!
rates of reaction people!!!!
Reply 23
technik

I dunno i just know thats what happened cos my chem teacher confirmed what i had been told cos he used to teach there.
need_money
I dunno i just know thats what happened cos my chem teacher confirmed what i had been told cos he used to teach there.

I'm sure it did....
Reply 25
sublime_envy
I'm sure it did....

Heh, Die.
Oh no! A 14 year old school child is telling me to die. Whatever shall I do? :rolleyes:
Reply 27
sublime_envy
Oh no! A 14 year old school child is telling me to die. Whatever shall I do? :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: You are one stuck up cow you know that? You think you're so much better than me...You're not..really...you're not at all.
technik

I'm not big on science, but isn't sodium fairly low down in the group?
She didn't say how many toilets it went down either. To be fair.

I don't understand why yous lot feel the need to pounce on every single thread/post need_money maks.

I'm not saying she doesn't post some silly things, but so do a hell of a lot of people, and I think the ensuing argument is kinda pointless and dull.
ah yes making assumptions about a faceless person on the internet. You astound me
It really wouldn't explode, not even potassium would. It would fizz and produce hydrogen, which may ignite, but it wouldn't exploed due to lack of confinement. Seriosly, it's not that powerful at all. So it could be done without it exploding all over someone, so need_money could be right.
Hayley...

and I think the ensuing argument is kinda pointless and dull.

yes but it's funny watching how simple it is to get a rise out of her
Reply 32
sublime_envy
ah yes making assumptions about a faceless person on the internet. You astound me

Wtf are you talking about?
Reply 33
Hayley...
I'm not big on science, but isn't sodium fairly low down in the group?
She didn't say how many toilets it went down either. To be fair.

I don't understand why yous lot feel the need to pounce on every single thread/post need_money maks.

I'm not saying she doesn't post some silly things, but so do a hell of a lot of people, and I think the ensuing argument is kinda pointless and dull.

words "a whole jar"

if you put a whole jar in water, it'll be touching the roof of the building within about a second.
Reply 34
it is time to stop fighting people!
sublime_envy
yes but it's funny watching how simple it is to get a rise out of her

But why is that fun? Seriously?
technik
words "a whole jar"

if you put a whole jar in water, it'll be touching the roof of the building within about a second.

To me, it sounds like sonething plausable but exaggerated when passed on as gossip.

Which is something that everyone does.

Though I suppose people should learn not to listen to idle gossip.
Reply 37
technik
words "a whole jar"

I said she took a whole jar from the class...i didnt say if she put the whole jar down the one toilet...i dont even know if she did i just heard she put it down the toilet/s and it mucked up the toilets so they were all flooded and everything.
Reply 38
more facts required then :smile:
words "a whole jar"

Depends on how much is in the jar! :smile:

If they added the sodium and the oil in which it's stored under, then the reaction would be very slow.

Even so, a whole jar will do very little, mainly due to a lack of confinement which is required for an explosion, it'll just produce a hell of a lot of fizzing hydrogen; but no explosion (assuming the water in the toilet is neutral). You need a VERY powerful explosive to detonate without confinement, and sodium is has a comparitively low brisance.

Latest

Trending

Trending