Quick question about uni and UCAS

Watch this thread
hustlr
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’m in year 12 and I’m going to start applying to unis soon. To be honest I’m quite torn between doing a PPE (or something related to socials sciences/humanities such as economics and history) or to do Design Engineering.

My A-Level subjects are Maths, DT, Economics ( I regret not picking History as I got a 9 at GCSE, so I’d love to be able to do it at university also I’ve seen that LSE doesn’t have the requirement of history a level to study History and Economics there). However, I also like Design and feel like there’s much more of a place for design in the modern world than history.

So my question is, am I allowed to choose varying courses for my UCAS application ( for example 3 for design and 2 Humanities)? What route do you recommend I follow?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
You can choose 2 very different courses. However you have a single PS that will go to all choices. It will be impossible to produce a PS that covers both PPE type courses and practical design courses well. Especially if you’re thinking of university like LSE that puts a heavy weight on the PS for selection.

You have until January to apply. I recommend that you work on two different application plans. Producing a PS and 3-5 choices for each subject. While at the same time doing more research and thinking about what course you are likely to choose. You can only study one degree so it is best to narrow down your options to one subject before you apply.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hustlr)
I’m in year 12 and I’m going to start applying to unis soon. To be honest I’m quite torn between doing a PPE (or something related to socials sciences/humanities such as economics and history) or to do Design Engineering.

My A-Level subjects are Maths, DT, Economics ( I regret not picking History as I got a 9 at GCSE, so I’d love to be able to do it at university also I’ve seen that LSE doesn’t have the requirement of history a level to study History and Economics there). However, I also like Design and feel like there’s much more of a place for design in the modern world than history.

So my question is, am I allowed to choose varying courses for my UCAS application ( for example 3 for design and 2 Humanities)? What route do you recommend I follow?
As above plus I just wanted to make the point that you can do a degree in History & Ancient History without having History A level. My son is doing this at Exeter with A levels in English, Maths and Physics and is coming to the end of his second year now. He has chosen his modules carefully so that he will be able to do his dissertation in History (not Ancient History).

Quite a few unis allow you to do History without having the subject at A level, as long as you combine it with Ancient History. He also got offers from Birmingham, Leeds, Southampton & Royal Holloway.

Sorry if I've just increased your confusion by giving you a third option!
hustlr
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
As above plus I just wanted to make the point that you can do a degree in History & Ancient History without having History A level. My son is doing this at Exeter with A levels in English, Maths and Physics and is coming to the end of his second year now. He has chosen his modules carefully so that he will be able to do his dissertation in History (not Ancient History).

Quite a few unis allow you to do History without having the subject at A level, as long as you combine it with Ancient History. He also got offers from Birmingham, Leeds, Southampton & Royal Holloway.

Sorry if I've just increased your confusion by giving you a third option!
Alright thanks for your help , it means a lot. I’ll be thinking about what route I want to go down
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (32)
18.71%
The paper was reasonable (69)
40.35%
Not feeling great about that exam... (34)
19.88%
It was TERRIBLE (36)
21.05%

Watched Threads