Tammybfw
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello!

I’m starting at the Open University this October and I’m looking for any advice/tips from anyone who has studied the Classical Studies course so I can be as prepared as possible. (Or from anyone who has studied/is currently studying at the OU).

Also, is there any materials I can buy in advance for this course to gain background knowledge or any materials which will provide useful during the course? I.e. books, research, documents etc.

Any help would be much appreciated!
<..........>
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
I graduated with an English Lit degree from the OU a few years ago. They supply all of the books that you will need but of course, it won’t hurt you to go out and do a little bit of reading/studying ahead of time now to allow you to start on the best possible foot.

Although, as much as I love the OU, if I had one criticism it would probably be that outside reading is almost discouraged when it comes to assessments. On quite a few occasions I would turn in a TMA where I was referencing, even quite briefly, some external book/journal article... I’d be surprised to find out that this ever helped my marks and on some occasions the feedback even indicated that the way to go was focus solely on the textbooks that they provide.
Last edited by <..........>; 1 year ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
You won't need to buy anything until you confirm which modules you're taking, and usually all the module materials are provided - however for some of the level 2/3 modules you may need to buy your own copy of the set text. They normally make a point of using cheap editions though, so it shouldn't be more than £10-15 per text usually at most. If you earn under a certain threshold you can apply to the OU for help paying some of the costs of your modules, including purchasing set texts not provided.

As you'll study Latin at level 2, it may be useful at some point before then (although not necessarily now) to familiarise yourself with some basic terminology and concepts of formal grammar, such as on this site: http://wpwt.soton.ac.uk/notes/grammar.htm which uses the grammatical terminology used for Latin (and ancient Greek) applied to English. But it will probably be useful going into that module to have some notion of e.g. what a participle is, the object vs subject of a sentence etc.

You may already be familiar with this if you studied A-level English Language, undertook your school education in another (probably non-Anglophone) country, or have studied modern foreign languages otherwise, but since it's not routinely taught in the UK (as I understand/recall) and is very important for ancient languages, it's worth familiarising yourself a little with it! Don't worry too much about it, as you'll be introduced to some of the concepts along the way, but it can be helpful to not have to learn the new language and learn the formal grammar at the same time

Otherwise just whatever you may be interested in; I believe the Aeneid features in a couple modules so it may be worth snagging an English translation of that on the cheap to become familiar with the whole poem before studying individual parts in detail (or in Latin!), although once the lockdown ends you may also be able to find a copy in your local library for free
Lproud20
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Tammybfw)
Hello!

I’m starting at the Open University this October and I’m looking for any advice/tips from anyone who has studied the Classical Studies course so I can be as prepared as possible. (Or from anyone who has studied/is currently studying at the OU).

Also, is there any materials I can buy in advance for this course to gain background knowledge or any materials which will provide useful during the course? I.e. books, research, documents etc.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Hi!
I'm thinking of starting this course in February! How is yours coming along? I just haven't found much information on others doing this course!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (8)
10.13%
Okay (25)
31.65%
A bit lacking (22)
27.85%
Not good at all (24)
30.38%

Watched Threads