The Student Room Group

How to get an A in a level biology?

I will be reteaching myself everything from scratch.

Scroll to see replies

a bit more context?
Original post by Zoe Skinner
a bit more context?

I did a level biology last year I got a B I want to resit it in 2021 how do I ensure that this time round things go more smoothly?
Original post by Anonymous1502
I did a level biology last year I got a B I want to resit it in 2021 how do I ensure that this time round things go more smoothly?

oh ok. Well, I got an A and all I can say is put the work in. Really focus on the things you struggle with and always exercise old knowledge so it never leaves. do LOTS of exam questions!!!!
Teaching yourself is the best way to learn. Since A-level biology is such a broad subject, they can and will test you on literally anything from the text books. The way I did it is I went through every page in the text book and wrote down any key facts listed within the topic, and made flashcards on every unit. I went through these cards repeatedly until they were engrained within my memory.
The other matter is past paper questions. Do as many of these as you can and use the mark-schemes to guide you. A lot of the answers are repeated and many can be used for lots of different questions, so make flash cards from the mark schemes and integrate the mark scheme into your learning.
I will be reteaching myself everything from scratch.

here are my steps (i graduated with a bio degree and got 98% back in AQA Biology A level):

1. Find the official/exam board-certified course textbook such as by Pearson/Oxford and learn it almost off by heart, as close as you can get: rote memorisation of the words is only the 2nd from top 'level' of learning that is required: upon doing this with enough discipline you will find yourself progressing from just memorising words on a page to genuinely understanding the material in a way that sticks in your mind.

2. When you write revision notes DO NOT use them 'to summarise', rather you should use them 'to cue' that will help you recall deeper levels of detail: if you just summarise, you are brushing over all the fine details that are critical in biology, but by using them 'to cue' the material you actually remember far more than you realise, you just need that one word or phrase to jog your memory of it... so find a diagram that will only show the basic steps... and then you will know finer detail within those broad steps - so in the exam you could picture that basic diagram in your head

3. For any parts that are particularly difficult to remember, read around the subject. For example, how to remember which heart valve does what? the vena cava returns deoxygenated blood from the body to the heart, how do i know this? vena cava is latin for "hollow veins" according to wikipedia, so i suppose it makes sense why they would be described as 'hollow', etc. So here i am doing extra reading by studying a wee bit of Latin and it turns out to be less work rather than more overall! Most of the time though reading around the subject should be in terms of biological detail rather than Latin though which was just an example!

4. Do A FEW past papers, just to get you used to the mark scheme, but don't lose track of learning the textbook off by heart and reading around the subject where necessary - don't overdo past papers: if you get 75% in 3 past papers then you have wasted 75% of 3 hours of your time
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by A Rolling Stone
here are my steps (i graduated with a bio degree and got 98% back in AQA Biology A level):

1.Find the official/exam board-certified course textbook such as by Pearson/Oxford and learn it almost off by heart, as close as you can get: rote memorisation of the words is only the 2nd from top 'level' of learning that is required: upon doing this with enough discipline you will find yourself progressing from just memorising words on a page to genuinely understanding the material in a way that sticks in your mind.

2. When you write revision notes DO NOT 'summarise', rather you should 'make cues' to help you recall deeper levels of detail: if you think of notes 'to summarise' the material then you are brushing over all the fine details that are critical in biology, rather you should think of your note 'to cue' the material you actually remember far more than you realise, you just need that one word or phrase to jog your memory of it... so find a diagram that will only show the basic steps... and then you will know finer detail within those broad steps - so in the exam you could picture that basic diagram in your head

3. For any parts that are particularly difficult to remember, read around the subject. For example, how to remember which heart valve does what? the vena cava returns deoxygenated blood from the body to the heart, how do i know this? vena cava is latin for "hollow veins" according to wikipedia, so i suppose it makes sense why they would be described as 'hollow', etc. So here i am doing extra reading by studying a wee bit of Latin and it turns out to be less work rather than more overall! Most of the time though reading around the subject should be in terms of biological detail rather than Latin though which was just an example!

4. Do A FEW past papers, just to get you used to the mark scheme, but don't lose track of learning the textbook off by heart and reading around the subject where necessary - don't overdo past papers: if you get 75% in 3 past papers then you have wasted 75% of 3 hours of your time

For my exam board edexcel B the textbook is incredibly concise and not very good. CGP do not make revision guides for my exam board.
For my exam board edexcel B the textbook is incredibly concise and not very good. CGP do not make revision guides for my exam board.

CGP cannot be the course-certified textbook! it is usually Pearson or Oxford press and it should be about 1.5 inches thick :smile: i think CGP guides should be banned tbh.
Reply 9
CGP cannot be the course-certified textbook! it is usually Pearson or Oxford press and it should be about 1.5 inches thick :smile: i think CGP guides should be banned tbh.

CGP is really bad for A-level
Original post by F12Ak
CGP is really bad for A-level

I personally loved CGP for biology!!! used that book to death

I like their chemistry book.
Reply 12

I had their books for biology, physics and chemistry and really struggled but thats me. I much prefer proper textbooks
Reply 13

Cgp has all the points you need to know. The other books tend to give you lots of information you dont need to know. But having more than 1 book to add missing information in is good.
Reply 14
Doing exam questions after you learnt a topic is really helpful and definitely learning or remember the markscheme. The questions always change but the points you need to make are always the same.
Original post by icy098
Cgp has all the points you need to know. The other books tend to give you lots of information you dont need to know. But having more than 1 book to add missing information in is good.

yeah absolutely I mean CGP is an amazing starting point - it summarises and puts everything into context but a textbook has more detail on everything. CGP can't be solely relied on
Reply 16
Hi,

I found tailored tutor videos on YouTube very help and addressed all key words for AQA.

I found Seneca learning and Snap Revise helpful they provide free resources. For OCR and AQA.

Maester of biology on insta got some free resources too.

I am going to do biology A level in September and my plan was to buy CGP books, which type of book should I buy instead
Original post by CatGirl246
I am going to do biology A level in September and my plan was to buy CGP books, which type of book should I buy instead

what's the exam board? the official AQA-approved textbook for me was this, but it's £43 and i would expect the school to fund it for you. It's an inch thick which puts off lots of students, but A level Biology is notoriously difficult - the hardest A level content-wise (the other sciences are harder conceptually)
what's the exam board? the official AQA-approved textbook for me was this, but it's £43 and i would expect the school to fund it for you. It's an inch thick which puts off lots of students, but A level Biology is notoriously difficult - the hardest A level content-wise (the other sciences are harder conceptually)

My exam board is OCR A

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending