The Student Room Group

how does reading create u to be a better writer

because im good at english and i wanna take it next year, its just my writing sounds basic sometimes which can bring my grade down. can anyone see why reading could help?
Original post by raniaaaaa
because im good at english and i wanna take it next year, its just my writing sounds basic sometimes which can bring my grade down. can anyone see why reading could help?

Depends what type of books you read, but in general, reading books help expand your vocabulary, allowing your writing to be more descriptive and diverse.

Fictional books in particular also help develop your creative writing as the stories told in them aim to make you feel that you're actually in the book, experiencing the adventures and tales first-hand. This, in turn, builds your imagination and may help you convey stories of your own to others better.

Non-fictional books, on the other hand, aim to teach you something new through facts, figures, and real-life evidence. This encourages you to read up and learn more about the subject and further builds up your knowledge in the field.

There's a lot of good to reading, and nowadays there are many more ways to read something, whether it's in a book, on your tablet, or in a video.

Hope that helps ^^
Reading is essentially the only apprenticeship available to someone who is looking to be a write of some sort.

I think my writing is... alright, I suppose. I feel that it probably used to be a little better in fact than it is now but in any case, I certainly began writing (to be clear that means essays/articles/exercises in pamphleteering) by imitating writers who I admired. Slowly you begin to find your own voice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending