Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I'm thinking of doing two master's...

One in MSc in Management (Change Management) at a pretty high ranking institution similar to my undergrad.

And one at a lower ranked university doing a Master's in Public Adminstration (MPA).

One course might be physical and I'll move there, and the other is fully online and not assessed by written exams, but projects.. Work and online presentations.

I think this is key, as my first course will be pretty challenging, am i foolish to think the second one might be easier and since I'm trained at handling a RG workload, i should be able to breeze through it on the side.

I planned on working on my high ranking master's primarily during the week (it's my flagship degree) and will always be the priority, and then doing the other one on the weekend.

Obviously, i wouldn't even be considering this but judging that a covid-19 vaccine isn't going to appear tmrw. I'm banking on spending alot of time inside next winter, possibly more than usual. Nightclubs etc simply won't be a distraction likely. Maybe there will be the odd bar to go once in a while, but most entertainment won't exist. So i feel like I'm in a unique situation to kind of do this.

Am i just being a bit too arrogant that because I've attended a highly ranked RG, i could just breeze through a former poly master's....on the side.

But i feel like an MPA might come in handy later if i need to get a government job, or want to run for office. It's almost like im doing it out of interest. But i need some opinions, have i totally lost it?

Obviously, when applying for jobs that the degree wouldn't be advantageous to have, i would only use the master most applicable to start my career as not to look too pretentious on a CV.
Last edited by Realitysreflexx; 6 months ago
Qer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
have you thought how are you going to fund yourself?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)

One in MSc in Management (Change Management) at a pretty high ranking institution similar to my undergrad.

And one at a lower ranked university doing a Master's in Public Adminstration (MPA).

One course might be physical and I'll move there, and the other is fully online and not assessed by written exams, but projects.. Work and online presentations.

I think this is key, as my first course will be pretty challenging, am i foolish to think the second one might be easier and since I'm trained at handling a RG workload, i should be able to breeze through it on the side.

I planned on working on my high ranking master's primarily during the week (it's my flagship degree) and will always be the priority, and then doing the other one on the weekend.

Obviously, i wouldn't even be considering this but judging that a covid-19 vaccine isn't going to appear tmrw. I'm banking on spending alot of time inside next winter, possibly more than usual. Nightclubs etc simply won't be a distraction likely. Maybe there will be the odd bar to go once in a while, but most entertainment won't exist. So i feel like I'm in a unique situation to kind of do this.

Am i just being a bit too arrogant that because I've attended a highly ranked RG, i could just breeze through a former poly master's....on the side.

But i feel like an MPA might come in handy later if i need to get a government job, or want to run for office. It's almost like im doing it out of interest. But i need some opinions, have i totally lost it?

Obviously, when applying for jobs that the degree wouldn't be advantageous to have, i would only use the master most applicable to start my career as not to look too pretentious on a CV.
Crack on, and good luck!
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Are both full time postgrad courses?
Take care not to put yourself under too much pressure.
Academically, financially or in terms of having almost no time for relaxation.
In my early twenties, one year I did two postgrad courses while working part time and I'll never go down that road again.
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Qer)
have you thought how are you going to fund yourself?
Yeah, that won't be an issue. The primary one is in the Netherlands (their loan system) and it's only about £1,800. The UK one is one the cheaper end due to it being a middling uni, and online £4,800. That's well below a master's loan, i probably won't even borrow the full amount. Money for other stuff i luckily have through owning a rental property in Europe.
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
Are both full time postgrad courses?
Take care not to put yourself under too much pressure.
Academically, financially or in terms of having almost no time for relaxation.
In my early twenties, one year I did two postgrad courses while working part time and I'll never go down that road again.
They will be lol. 😂 I'm literally hoping one is a bit easier then the other. Idk I'm estimating that I'll probably have to write about 20,000 word's a semester. The two dissertations would likely be the toughest part though. But I'm quite good at writing, like I really enjoy the process as much as one can. Some energy drinks and trance music and it's a go for me. If the second master's involved exams i wouldn't even attempt it, i also wouldn't dare try and do two master's at two RGs or anything like that. Obviously the first dutch masters will have exams. That will probably be pretty challenging, but i don't have much family... So i won't be distracted like most during Christmas etc. I literally have no responsibilities, we'll probably be in some form of lockdown lol.

But your totally right, i will likely regret this optimistic view at some point.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Yeah, that won't be an issue. The primary one is in the Netherlands (their loan system) and it's only about £1,800. The UK one is one the cheaper end due to it being a middling uni, and online £4,800. That's well below a master's loan, i probably won't even borrow the full amount. Money for other stuff i luckily have through owning a rental property in Europe.
Check with Student Finance - they might object to you doing two master's level courses at the same time.

Also, your 'in-person' university might not want you to divide your attention with an additional online master's at the same time.
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Check with Student Finance - they might object to you doing two master's level courses at the same time.

Also, your 'in-person' university might not want you to divide your attention with an additional online master's at the same time.
They're different loan systems in different countries. There's no coordination there. This is actually the only way i could do it, concurrently because i won't have a master's qualification yet when i apply for either loan.

I'm not sure that I'll need to disclose it, and it wouldn't affect my primary uni, if i realised i couldn't handle it i would simply let the online degree suffer or drop out of it.
username5271994
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

Nottingham isn’t that highly ranked but okay 😊
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kavala)
Nottingham isn’t that highly ranked but okay 😊
Highly enough to get you into even the top places for master's and some pretty good jobs, it's definitely nearer to mixing with the top end then the bottom 🤷*♂️. Drop Nottingham into most countries and it's definitely a top university 😊.
username5271994
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Highly enough to get you into even the top places for master's and some pretty good jobs, it's definitely nearer to mixing with the top end then the bottom 🤷*♂️. Drop Nottingham into most countries and it's definitely a top university 😊.
Than* and you said you can only do this Master’s degree at a poorly-ranked university.
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Than* and you said you can only do this Master’s degree at a poorly-ranked university.
No, I'm not bold enough to do two master's at highly ranked uni's. That's why one at a quite good dutch research university and one at a former poly. I might be German and efficient but only human.

Though I'm not quite sure, are you after an argument? Let's hear where you got your degree so we can all feel impressed.
username5271994
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
No, I'm not bold enough to do two master's at highly ranked uni's. That's why one at a quite good dutch research university and one at a former poly. I might be German and efficient but only human.

Though I'm not quite sure, are you after an argument? Let's hear where you got your degree so we can all feel impressed.
LSE 🙂 why not just do one masters at a good university instead?... I don’t follow the logic here
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
LSE 🙂 why not just do one masters at a good university instead?... I don’t follow the logic here
Ohh yeah LSE that's a good one. The logic is I might try and get a government job, especially if the economy is in a horrendous position... And the MPA might help. Obviously my primary goal is to work in the private sector. My other idea was to possibly due a PhD to keep myself busy but it's long, but i think this might be a better back up plan. Obviously ranking of university won't matter as much if i applied for a government job in Germany...where there is more an emphasis on having a qualification then where. It's all about fail safes for covid-19. And if i end up super unemployed at least I'll be smart right. 👌😂😂
Last edited by Realitysreflexx; 6 months ago
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

Just don't do it - there's no point. Please get someone who knows you to read this post and comment - it does not reflect well on you
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Just don't do it - there's no point. Please get someone who knows you to read this post and comment - it does not reflect well on you
I think that's a bit silly. But duly noted.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I think that's a bit silly. But duly noted.
I don't want to spell out what your post screams to me ...
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Feel free to PM I'm genuinely interested in opinions. And I'm fully prepared to be chewed out at this point.
username5271994
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Please do!
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Please do!
Maybe I'm just oblivious, as to why everyone seems so salty lol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (889)
42.72%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.89%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads