lhh2003
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I get why HFCs are safer as the F-C bond is stronger than the Cl-C bond. But is HCFCs, Cl-C bonds are present which are also in CFCs and the breakdown of these bonds to form Cl radicals is what deplete O3.
SudiT
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by lhh2003)
I get why HFCs are safer as the F-C bond is stronger than the Cl-C bond. But is HCFCs, Cl-C bonds are present which are also in CFCs and the breakdown of these bonds to form Cl radicals is what deplete O3.
I think it is due to the presence of the C-H bonds in HCFCs which are susceptible to the attack of free radicals and cause the molecule to decompose much quicker than CFCs.
lhh2003
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by SudiT)
I think it is due to the presence of the C-H bonds in HCFCs which are susceptible to the attack of free radicals and cause the molecule to decompose much quicker than CFCs.
When you say 'decompose quicker', what do you mean ? Surely if free radical substitution is happening, the Cl atoms are still gonna be up there, but just continuously reacting and being decomposed ?
SudiT
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by lhh2003)
When you say 'decompose quicker', what do you mean ? Surely if free radical substitution is happening, the Cl atoms are still gonna be up there, but just continuously reacting and being decomposed ?
The HCFCs will be broken down before they can reach higher parts of the atmosphere such as the stratosphere where the chlorine would contribute to ozone depletion. So they're still not completely safe but are less impactful on the environment than CFCs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (74)
64.35%
I don't have everything I need (41)
35.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed