How to answer criminal law problem question ( urgent )

Watch
Chlo4929
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I’m using the IRAC method so I’m firstly saying what’s the issue ie the crime being committed, I’m then talking about the actus Reus of the crime and the men’s rea. Am I at this point supposed to apply the law , I really Have no idea on how to apply the law, where do I start from, am I just staying everything that is in that law or what. Thank you in advance, I’d really appreciate the help as I’m so confused and wasn’t given much information by my tutors on assessment guidance.
kingyii1997
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
1. Start by identifying the possible legal issue. eg. GBH always start with the most serious offence. Consent.
2. Identify the potential criminal event. eg. A punches B and caused a deep cut.
3. potential criminal offence. eg. A punches B can amount to GBH and listed out which section it might be fallen into.
4. Actus Reus
5. Mens Rea
6. Defence
7. Conclusion
Hope it helps.
username3689312
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Application means applying the law the the facts. I'll use contract law as an example;

A offers to sell his PS2 for £100, B sends a message to A saying if I'll buy the PS2 and if I dont hear back from you by tomorrow, I'll consider it sold to me. A sold the PS2 to C. B sued A.

In the format of IRAC;
Issue - Can silence amount to acceptance?
Rule - No it can not as per Felthouse v Bindley
Application - A has not communicated his acceptance to B because silence does not amount to acceptance.
Conclusion - No legal contract has therefore been formed between A & B and A is free to sell the PS2 to C.

Sometimes the application merges with conclusion.
Chlo4929
Rep:
?
(Original post by kingyii1997)
1. Start by identifying the possible legal issue. eg. GBH always start with the most serious offence. Consent.
2. Identify the potential criminal event. eg. A punches B and caused a deep cut.
3. potential criminal offence. eg. A punches B can amount to GBH and listed out which section it might be fallen into.
4. Actus Reus
5. Mens Rea
6. Defence
7. Conclusion
Hope it helps.
That helps! Thank you so much
Chlo4929
Rep:
?
(Original post by username3689312)
Application means applying the law the the facts. I'll use contract law as an example;

A offers to sell his PS2 for £100, B sends a message to A saying if I'll buy the PS2 and if I dont hear back from you by tomorrow, I'll consider it sold to me. A sold the PS2 to C. B sued A.

In the format of IRAC;
Issue - Can silence amount to acceptance?
Rule - No it can not as per Felthouse v Bindley
Application - A has not communicated his acceptance to B because silence does not amount to acceptance.
Conclusion - No legal contract has therefore been formed between A & B and A is free to sell the PS2 to C.

Sometimes the application merges with conclusion.
Thank you , really helpful !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (0)
0%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (0)
0%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (0)
0%
No, I haven't received any communication (3)
100%

Watched Threads