The Student Room Group

TSR Doctors' Society Part II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mindlesss
Thanks! Wow sounds like you've got a lot on your plate :smile: well done!
If you don't mind me asking, which uni did you go with for PGCert and how are you finding it?

Newcastle - it was the cheapest (or second cheapest(

It's been alright. To be honest, not terribly interested in pursuing it to a MSc and did it really just for shortlisting points so not great marks but don't care as long as I pass. As nexttime said, not much effort needed to be honest.

Original post by rlaekdnlt5
I'm currently worried about the whole CV portfolios and securing a post in London after FY2.

I've worked really hard during med school to get things published which I have achieved but unfortunately not recognised by Pubmed.

I'm still very indecisive with regards to a speciality that I want to pursue, and as a med student, only attened one or two conferences.

Is it really competitive to secure a post in London, say CST/CMT?

Also, is it too late to start working on my CV from a scratch as F1 or do I have to do F3 to build my portfolio?

just as an FYI, if you've published in journals that are not indexed by Pinned, you could go via PMC route to get a PMID. Will probably have to cough up open access fees but that's an option.
Original post by nexttime
I did one in FY1 alongside a 1.5 hour commute. It was not much work at all tbh - its a social science distance learning qualification and its very different to studying medicine! I actually found that frustrating in many ways.

To date I don't think its affected any of my career applications, and I didn't find it particularly enjoyable so kind of regret it. It may yet come in handy though I suppose.

In my opinon PGCE are like a tick box exercise, unlikely you'll learn anything............... but that's my opinion. It may help with career progression depending on what you want to do.
Original post by Catchetat
In my opinon PGCE are like a tick box exercise, unlikely you'll learn anything............... but that's my opinion. It may help with career progression depending on what you want to do.

I thought it was a complete load of BS. Writing essays in which you are expect to use citations, but the only citations are also just essays. You just name drop people with grey hair and you get top marks. All these theories based on theories based on theories based on... absolutely nothing.
I should really stop procrastinating and actually register for a Med Ed PGCert at some point but the posts above are strongly confirming my suspicions that I probably won't enjoy it much and I dislike the idea of doing it just to prove I've done it.

I actually want to blow all my money on an overseas DTM&H instead :smug:
I did a PGCert starting in F1 and just finished it - agree with the above, not interesting, like a very basic psychology course! But really not that much work or time commitment - I did about 3 days of work for each term (including my assignments). Good for points and helped me get a med ed job, main thing to consider is the expense
Original post by Democracy
I should really stop procrastinating and actually register for a Med Ed PGCert at some point but the posts above are strongly confirming my suspicions that I probably won't enjoy it much and I dislike the idea of doing it just to prove I've done it.

I actually really enjoyed mine (although it was a PGCert in clinical education instead of medical education) - it did help that it was fully-funded by my trust - it was quite practically-based (lots of sim) and I feel really helped me develop as a clinical teacher
Original post by Spencer Wells
I actually really enjoyed mine (although it was a PGCert in clinical education instead of medical education) - it did help that it was fully-funded by my trust - it was quite practically-based (lots of sim) and I feel really helped me develop as a clinical teacher

Can i ask, how did you get it funded by your trust? Is there a link to trusts/hospitals that potential fund the PGCE Clinical Ed? thank you
Original post by Ripper Phoenix
Can i ask, how did you get it funded by your trust? Is there a link to trusts/hospitals that potential fund the PGCE Clinical Ed? thank you

Via competitive application (working at a very rich hospital, GSTT) - email went out to all the juniors inviting them to apply - interview - success. It is reasonably common for trusts to fund PGCerts if part of a fellow job (my wife had hers paid for by her trust when working as an education fellow) but I've only ever come across one place that would fund you during a normal training year.
I also did a PGCert in Med Ed in F1 at Cardiff University. I actually really enjoyed it, I quite liked getting to do a bit of social science/psychology reading, it was a nice change from medicine. Not sure how much impact it actually had on my teaching though as it was all distance learning, think I have learnt far more about teaching from just doing a lot of it and getting feedback from students. Personally F1 was a great time for me to do it as I didn't have many other commitments outside work (lived alone, no family commitments) but slightly wish I'd waited a bit as now I am in specialty training and there is funding for it. Had to take out a loan to do mine which I paid quite a lot of interest on, slightly wish I had spend that money on something more enjoyable e.g. travelling and waited until I was eligible for funding. Don't think its had much of an impact on my career, looks quite good on my CV and may have helped me get some teaching opportunities but think I could have probably got those without it. Hoping it will come in handy later on when looking for jobs with a teaching component.
Original post by mrs_bellamy
I also did a PGCert in Med Ed in F1 at Cardiff University. I actually really enjoyed it, I quite liked getting to do a bit of social science/psychology reading, it was a nice change from medicine. Not sure how much impact it actually had on my teaching though as it was all distance learning, think I have learnt far more about teaching from just doing a lot of it and getting feedback from students. Personally F1 was a great time for me to do it as I didn't have many other commitments outside work (lived alone, no family commitments) but slightly wish I'd waited a bit as now I am in specialty training and there is funding for it. Had to take out a loan to do mine which I paid quite a lot of interest on, slightly wish I had spend that money on something more enjoyable e.g. travelling and waited until I was eligible for funding. Don't think its had much of an impact on my career, looks quite good on my CV and may have helped me get some teaching opportunities but think I could have probably got those without it. Hoping it will come in handy later on when looking for jobs with a teaching component.

That was the one I did too. Not only did it have no impact on my teaching, I remember next to nothing from it. About the only thing I remember was how stupid the theory behind constructivism (i.e. PBL) is when applied to medicine :s-smilie:

I went in expecting like 'We randomised 100 students to x technique or y technique and found that x performed z much better in A exam' and to then be able to implement that stuff in my teaching. But no, just people's theories about how knowledge is inherently subjective and so can't be taught :s-smilie:
Original post by Democracy

East Africa DTM&H? Had my eye on that for a while...
Original post by junior.doctor
East Africa DTM&H? Had my eye on that for a while...

I was more interested in the Lima one but either one would be good. I'll have to see what things are like post-CCT - hopefully it won't just be a pipe dream :tongue: At what point do you think you'd do it?
Had my vaccine appointment today. Interesting seeing things from the other side
Original post by ForestCat
Had my vaccine appointment today. Interesting seeing things from the other side

Took small #2 for imms today, they were done in a classroom of a (currently closed) secondary school! Weird.
I did the Cardiff distance learning PgCert MedEd as well, quite a few years ago now (at the same time as working full time as CMT1 and doing the whole of MRCP which gives you an idea of the effort required). I was rather disappointed in it tbh in terms of content as it was far more theory than actually helpful in developing my teaching. Time commitment wise it was manageable, though did have to do some solid work in the run up to each deadline that I recall being fairly arduous!

It has definitely helped me with points for applications (starting St3 Anaesthesia following impending mat leave and it helped with points for Core as well) and I plan on progressing to do the diploma/Masters in the future once Final exams out of the way but more because I am interested in being involved in education longer term rather than that I think I'll actually enjoy the further courses! Funding for me was taken care of by inheritance from my grandmother who died at a convenient time to assist with the funding. If I was self funding, I'm not sure I would have felt it was worth it! Hopefully will be able to get formal funding for the remaining once I'm ready!
Do you think we will be able to still wear scrubs in the next coming months?

Hospital I'm going to is a covid hospital atm so I'm assuming I will still be in scrubs come august. But our current hospital has changed to everyone wears scrubs - including all the consultants. It's been such an all medical team change of clothing that I can't see anyone wanting to go back to "clinical clothes" - unless maybe for clinics.
I would be very reluctant to stop wearing scrubs (so comfy) and I think they do look professional.

What do you think? Are scrubs here to stay?
Original post by ahorey

Hospital I'm going to is a covid hospital atm so I'm assuming I will still be in scrubs come august. But our current hospital has changed to everyone wears scrubs - including all the consultants. It's been such an all medical team change of clothing that I can't see anyone wanting to go back to "clinical clothes" - unless maybe for clinics.
I would be very reluctant to stop wearing scrubs (so comfy) and I think they do look professional.

Personally I hate surgical scrubs. The pants don’t fit my waist properly (need some elastic to feel securely) and the pockets are awful.
We have scrub like uniforms at my current trust which are better and have proper pockets which are good. But I’m ready to go back to normal clothes tbh
Original post by ahorey

I NEVER want to wear clinical clothes again. Scrubs are just so so comfy.
Original post by nexttime
I did one in FY1 alongside a 1.5 hour commute. It was not much work at all tbh - its a social science distance learning qualification and its very different to studying medicine! I actually found that frustrating in many ways.

To date I don't think its affected any of my career applications, and I didn't find it particularly enjoyable so kind of regret it. It may yet come in handy though I suppose.

Hslakkal... I found out Newcastle is cheapest for pgcert medical education..
I just want to use it for getting into training.

Was it accepted?? Because I was told my friends they did theirs in Cardiff.
Is there any difference??
Original post by ForestCat
Personally I hate surgical scrubs. The pants don’t fit my waist properly (need some elastic to feel securely) and the pockets are awful.
We have scrub like uniforms at my current trust which are better and have proper pockets which are good. But I’m ready to go back to normal clothes tbh

Normal trousers, scrub top combo.

It's here to stay if you make it stay - I did it even before covid!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending