lfs_04_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hey, I wanted to know your opinions on having a job whilst doing 4 A levels. I was thinking to do to about 30 hours weekly, I'd do 3 hours on school days and 8 hours on weekends.
PS: I'm gonna be doing further maths, maths, physics, and chemistry, and I'm looking to achieve A*s on all of them.
Deggs_14
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Working during a levels is such a detriment to your schoolwork and mental health, I would seriously not recommend it at all. And you’re seriously considering working thirty hours a week and doing four a levels? Are you out of your mind?! You need as much time as possible in the evenings and on the weekends to do last exam questions and revision if you want to achieve 4A*, once you get home from school you’ll have to go straight to work and when you come home you’ll be too tired and it will be too late to do any schoolwork or homework.

If you want to achieve 4A* (which is a good mindset to have provided you work efficiently and hard throughout) then you will nit have time for a job. Any extra time you should devote to preparing for maths or science olympiads / challenges as I assume you want to apply to a competitive uni for a science degree, or an EPQ, reading science magazines or journals, watching documentaries etc.
Last edited by Deggs_14; 6 months ago
Hmmm7
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Well 4 alevels seem hard to juggle with a job but it depends on you as a individual if you can balance it but tbh ur timetable might not give you time for revision especially if you’re doing challenging subjects it’ll stress you out. With 3 alevels it might not be as hard but really it depends on you if you can manage your time well
lfs_04_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Deggs_14)
Working during a levels is such a detriment to your schoolwork and mental health, I would seriously not recommend it at all. And you’re seriously considering working thirty hours a week and doing four a levels? Are you out of your mind?! You need as much time as possible in the evenings and on the weekends to do last exam questions and revision if you want to achieve 4A*, once you get home from school you’ll have to go straight to work and when you come home you’ll be too tired and it will be too late to do any schoolwork or homework.

If you want to achieve 4A* (which is a good mindset to have provided you work efficiently and hard throughout) then you will nit have time for a job. Any extra time you should devote to preparing for maths or science olympiads / challenges as I assume you want to apply to a competitive uni for a science degree, or an EPQ, reading science magazines or journals, watching documentaries etc.
I was thinking, maybe if I made notes and paid attention in all lessons from the very first day, and then did 1-2h of schoolwork every day depending on how tired I was, it would be manageable?
Deggs_14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by lfs_04_)
I was thinking, maybe if I made notes and paid attention in all lessons from the very first day, and then did 1-2h of schoolwork every day depending on how tired I was, it would be manageable?
No working 30 hours a week and doing 4 a levels is not manageable full stop.
Hmmm7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You’re young man you should work hard and enjoy your year I mean you could but say if you miss a day that won’t go well think about your mental health. But if you really want or need a job I say go for it and see if you’ll be able to manage it and do well and if you don’t you can always drop the job or 1 subject but tbh it’s always better to okay it safe and just study you’ll get a job one day maybe just not now so focus on your studies get good grades and then you can get jobs remember Alevels are actually really hard so you should be prepared for it
Last edited by Hmmm7; 6 months ago
lfs_04_
Rep:
?
No working 30 hours a week and doing 4 a levels is not manageable full stop.
Understandable, thanks for sharing your opinion. Is there any amount of hours you could consider acceptable?
Deggs_14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Understandable, thanks for sharing your opinion. Is there any amount of hours you could consider acceptable?
Maybe six or eight hours on the weekend? I just don’t believe that working during term time during sixth form is a good idea as you need time to rest and to be able to do schoolwork, revision and to have some downtime. If you work you never stop, and you’ll just be constantly fatigued and drained at the detriment of your mental health.

If you want to work I would look into jobs available during the summer, when you have a lot more free time and don’t need to do schoolwork as often.
Last edited by Deggs_14; 6 months ago
jd1202
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
i worked 16 hours during mt a levels, 9 hours on a saturday and 9 on a sunday & even i found that extremely draining
vn1708
Report 6 months ago
don’t undermine how hard a levels are. they require a lot of understanding, motivation, time, especially with four a levels. there is no point getting a job and working that long to earn a little bit of money (considering you’ll be paid near min wage) and having a negative affect on your studies. you’ll be tired most of the time from school and work, how are you going juggle all of it in addition to social life? let yourself be a teen in these years and don’t work, you’ll be working for the rest of your life after sixth form/uni. i worked as a xmas temp and i couldn’t handle that and i quit, i have ever since regretted wasting my time applying to jobs and actually working. not worth it in my opinion
Ameba
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I couldn't work during A-levels, because my courses were demanding (maths, psychology, biology). I know someone who did courses similar to mine and they were able to work. I have no idea how though, but I had a much better grasp of the material than they did, but they were somewhat able to wing it.
lfs_04_
Rep:
?
Maybe six or eight hours on the weekend? I just don’t believe that working during term time during sixth form is a good idea as you need time to rest and to be able to do schoolwork, revision and to have some downtime. If you work you never stop, and you’ll just be constantly fatigued and drained at the detriment of your mental health.

If you want to work I would look into jobs available during the summer, when you have a lot more free time and don’t need to do schoolwork as often.
Well, new idea then - Would it be a good idea to leave college for next year and instead, take a gap year which I can dedicate to work?
Ameba
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Well, new idea then - Would it be a good idea to leave college for next year and instead, take a gap year which I can dedicate to work?
You can take a gap year before university. You might be more ready for it then
Zoe Skinner
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
absolutely NOT. Not with ANY A level subjects, let alone THOSE. Not if you were looking to get 3 Bs, let alone 3 A*s. Not if you were looking for a 6 hour contract, let alone 30 hours.
Zoe Skinner
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I took a gap year (actually 2 lol) to work and I highly recommend it. Not only do you save money for uni but you get to know the workplace and have a break from studying haha
shinypixel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hey, I wanted to know your opinions on having a job whilst doing 4 A levels. I was thinking to do to about 30 hours weekly, I'd do 3 hours on school days and 8 hours on weekends.
PS: I'm gonna be doing further maths, maths, physics, and chemistry, and I'm looking to achieve A*s on all of them.
No. I did 4 a levels and an EPQ (maths, bio chemistry and psychology) and I tried working 30 hoursa week, did not work out at all. And you will feel horrible, fed up and tired. Your social life will be dead. At most I did 20 hours (16 hours on weekend, 4 hours on a Friday afternoon.

Then I switched to a high paying job for a 17 year old( £20 an hour) and worked max 15 hours a week through year 13, and I wouldn’t even recommend doing that. 16 hours max for real.
Last edited by shinypixel; 6 months ago
lfs_04_
Rep:
?
(Original post by shinypixel)
No. I did 4 a levels and an EPQ (maths, bio chemistry and psychology) and I tried working 30 hoursa week, did not work out at all. And you will feel horrible, fed up and tired. Your social life will be dead. At most I did 20 hours (16 hours on weekend, 4 hours on a Friday afternoon. Then I switched to a high paying job for a 17 year old( £20 an hour) and worked max 15 hours a week through year 13.
How did you get paid so much? Because a 17yo doesnt have the qualifications needed for that much (right?) And what were your grades
lfs_04_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zoe Skinner)
I took a gap year (actually 2 lol) to work and I highly recommend it. Not only do you save money for uni but you get to know the workplace and have a break from studying haha
How was going back to studies? Did you struggle with your subjects? Also, were you put with 16/17yos or were you put with people your age?
Zoe Skinner
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
How was going back to studies? Did you struggle with your subjects? Also, were you put with 16/17yos or were you put with people your age?
i'm going to uni in September. But i'm 19 with a birthday in August so i'll prob be max 1 year older than people
lfs_04_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zoe Skinner)
i'm going to uni in September. But i'm 19 with a birthday in August so i'll prob be max 1 year older than people
I meant. when you were put in year 12, were your classes with 16\17yos or were they your age
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (73)
27.76%
No - I have already returned home (30)
11.41%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.53%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.65%
No - I live at home during term anyway (78)
29.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed