The Student Room Group
On campus building at University of South Wales
University of South Wales

Accommodation

Hey guys, I've just been accepted to do a Postgrad at the University of South Wales, Cardiff. The campus is in Treforest, so being from Ireland I have no clue where that is in relation to Cardiff city. I'm hoping someone might have some advice for me with regards to where I should start looking for accommodation. Would it be a better experience living in the city and commuting to Treforest, or the other way around? Thanks!
Hello! firstly Congratulations on being accepted to USW! I have just finished the first year of my undergrad degree at trefforest campus! Trefforest campus is around 25 minutes by train from cardiff city centre, the cheapest option for train is to invest in a 'valleys student railcard' it costs i think £12 ? (its been nearly a year since i bought mine!) and it takes 30% of the price of a return, to buy it you can go to either treff, cardiff central or queen street stations with your student ID and ask for it at the ticket desk and theyll sort it out there and then, the ticket discount makes it £5.50 a day travel from cardiff to trefforest, and trefforest train station is about a 5 minute walk from the campus (could probably do it quicker but im lazy and hills kill me!) so its entirely up to you, if you have the funds to afford to commute you could definitely live in cardiff, I think (?) house prices for students may be slightly cheaper in trefforest, I don't know entirely though because I commute from near Newport, but I know plenty of people do decide to commute in from cardiff daily. one quick tip, you can get on the train at cardiff central or queen street and its the same price, the 8.04 train from cardiff queen street is quieter than the 8.12 train, that train is usually packed until you've got out of cardiff and the commuters and cardiff uni students have all got off! had more than a few times where I haven't been able to get a seat on that train. Hope i've helped a little bit and if you have any other questions please feel free to ask!
On campus building at University of South Wales
University of South Wales
Reply 2
This is amazing thank you so much! Are you enjoying Cardiff and studying at USW? I've never been so this is all pretty new to me! Really appreciate you taking the time to write that response it was so helpful! :-D
I've lived in south wales my whole life and love it down here! cardiff is a great city! :smile: and its no problem at all! any questions you have about the uni campus or anything with USW i'd be happy to help with! what post grad course are you going to be doing? :smile:
Reply 4
It's a postgrad in Clinical Psychology. Have not heard any updates yet as to whether things will be online for the first while or not so still have not made any moves regarding accommodation and so on! Will be moving over by myself anyway so it's kind of daunting but also exciting at the same time!! London was my other choice but I think money-wise it's much more sensible to chose Cardiff!
Definitely, well after speaking to my course leader earlier on it seems that the lecturers are still waiting for confirmation on what is happening come september, staff are being told around the 25th of this month and then current students will be finding out i'm hoping around early june! ah welcome to the psychology department! I'm studying Childhood Development :smile: it's a wonderful department and all the staff are lovely! Cardiff is definitely a better choice than cardiff for money!
Reply 6
Hi there, I've finally been given an unconditional offer so have to start looking for accommodation asap! I've joined a few facebook groups so will certainly take your advice and try to find somewhere in Cardiff and commute. I'm so excited to move over and it's so so good to hear that all the staff are so nice and you are enjoying it :-D

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending