The Student Room Group

The SQE/ Edinburgh vs Durham Uni

Hi! I am currently trying to choose between unconditional offers between Edinburgh and Durham uni to study law. I love both but Edinburgh would be free as I am a Scottish student. However, if I want to go on to be a solicitor afterwards (though not 100% sure I want to) I would have to convert from Scots law to English law (I don’t want to stay in Scotland) which adds on a whole extra year before I can go on and do the LPC. I have been researching this and found out about the SQE which will be coming into place soon but was wondering if anyone could confirm that this would mean I would no longer have to do the conversion course by the time I graduate in 2023/ 2024. If that was the case I would choose Edinburgh, but if not I would choose Durham to keep all options open. Thank you so much if anyone can help me or direct me to the right place to ask this!
Pretty sure the SQE will be up and running by the time you graduate and even before you graduate - I’m not an expert but I’m on a programme called Pathways to Law for y12-y13 students and they’ve kept us quite updated in regards to the SQE. I’d say go for Edinburgh if you really want to!
Original post by Stanley2001
Hi! I am currently trying to choose between unconditional offers between Edinburgh and Durham uni to study law. I love both but Edinburgh would be free as I am a Scottish student. However, if I want to go on to be a solicitor afterwards (though not 100% sure I want to) I would have to convert from Scots law to English law (I don’t want to stay in Scotland) which adds on a whole extra year before I can go on and do the LPC. I have been researching this and found out about the SQE which will be coming into place soon but was wondering if anyone could confirm that this would mean I would no longer have to do the conversion course by the time I graduate in 2023/ 2024. If that was the case I would choose Edinburgh, but if not I would choose Durham to keep all options open. Thank you so much if anyone can help me or direct me to the right place to ask this!

The SQE should definitely be in place by 2023/2024 but will entail some sort of preparatory course for non Law graduates (and Law graduates, but they will presumably have covered at least some of the preparation for the exams on their course) which could even end up being similar to the GDL - no one knows yet. Although the preparatory course will cost a few thousand pounds it will still be considerably cheaper for you than paying for 3 years of a degree course.

One route will be a lot cheaper, the other shorter so it is up to you what is more important
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending